The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Favorite IRIS guitar model???

I've owned the DF, OG, CH and just purchased the AB which is on the way.

I have my own conclusions but would like to hear yours!!
Old 03-15-2022, 09:49 AM

Do you still own any of them? I had a DF and loved it. But it had to go to make room for the next great thing. I am a big fan of what Iris is doing though. The guitars sound great.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I've only owned one, a DF Smeck which I still have and have no plans to part with. It is a fantastic guitar, especially at the price point.

I am also interested in hearing what folks say about their other models. However, I think that they have their methodology right and that all of their guitars likely play and sound great.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I have the DF and CH with the AB on the way.

I sold the OG as I like my Waterloo WL-K better and it's a similar sound structure.

I will never sell the DF (unless I like the AB better which is on the way)

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-02-2022 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Not here, please.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I don't like bigger guitars, but if I were to get anything bigger, it would be a DF Smeck for sure.

The OG can do anything I want and is a complete instrument in every way that is meaningful to me.

The CH is my favorite....but I'm super partial to that one, of course :-)
Old 03-15-2022, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLatchey View Post
I have the DF and CH with the AB on the way.

I sold the OG as I like my Waterloo WL-K better and it's a similar sound structure.

Please provide a comparison between the DF and the AB if you can. My experience with the Smeck has me thinking about another IRIS in the future.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-02-2022 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:12 PM

I had an OG and honestly just never bonded with it, used it as a partial trade for a CEO-7. That said, I've played a couple of others now that have been wonderful guitars. I've recently played a DF, a DF Smeck and an AB. Honestly, the AB was the surprising winner out of that group. Jockeying some other stuff around to see if I can bring it home. That said, the DF and the Smeck were both awesome too, just that AB was the best to my ears (and to the other guys hanging out at the shop that day).
Old 03-15-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've owned the DF, OG, CH and just purchased the AB which is on the way.

I have my own conclusions but would like to hear yours!!
I've only had the opportunity to play a DF base model and an OG base model. Both of them were really stellar, but the DF just had the vintage vibe and sound that you would expect from a 50 year old J45. I should have grabbed it when I had the chance about 6 months ago. The OG surprised me with the dynamics and volume out of the smallish box. I will probably own one of them as well down the road.

Right now, I'm contemplating ordering a custom DF with 12 fret neck and slotted headstock. There are 2 Smeck models with this spec available right now, but I'm just not sure about the deeper body - thinking it may be TOO much of a good thing over the standard DF (which already has a pretty serious output of the Gibson "thump" in its own right)!

Congrats on the incoming AB (I've been close to sending a PM on that guitar for the last two weeks), but just knew that I really want a DF. Enjoy the next Iris in your nice collection!
Old 03-15-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you decide to part with DF, let me know. I am actively looking for one before I place a custom order.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Haha will do! There's a chance (albeit very small) that I'll part ways with the DF.....I can't imagine liking the AB better than the DF.....but you never know until you play 'em right!!

I really want to order a custom Iris with 1 3/4 and 2 5/16 with Adi/Hog.

Just hate waiting 14 months....granted I talked to Adam and he did say they are about to move to another production facility and just hired two new people (I think he said from Collins) to help speed up production so the wait might not be 14 months
Old 03-15-2022, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post

Right now, I'm contemplating ordering a custom DF with 12 fret neck and slotted headstock. There are 2 Smeck models with this spec available right now, but I'm just not sure about the deeper body - thinking it may be TOO much of a good thing over the standard DF (which already has a pretty serious output of the Gibson "thump" in its own right)!
You should try the Smeck. I wouldn't change anything about that guitar except the tuners. They are functional, but I wonder how long it will be until I have to replace them. It is a very fun guitar to play.

In comparison to my J-45 Standard, well, there is no comparison. The IRIS Smeck blows the J-45 away in every aspect.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I own two of Adam Buchwald's Circle String guitars so I'm no stranger to the level of quality that comes out of his shop. However, I really had no interest in an Iris guitar until recently when the ND-200 model came out. I'm not a Gibson guy but there's one model that has always sounded really good to my ears and that's the J200. I suspect that 2023 will be the year I grab an ND-200. I've seen them with maple b/s and that would be the version I'd want.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-15-2022, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
You should try the Smeck. I wouldn't change anything about that guitar except the tuners. They are functional, but I wonder how long it will be until I have to replace them. It is a very fun guitar to play.

In comparison to my J-45 Standard, well, there is no comparison. The IRIS Smeck blows the J-45 away in every aspect.
Thanks for the info. I wish I could try one - found a "like new" Smeck with slotted headstock for a good price, and Eddie's Guitars has a brand new one with solid headstock - unfortunately, it would have to be a good faith purchase w/o being able to play them first. If I go the custom route direct from Iris, I will definitely pay for the upgraded tuners such as Waverlys (they are available, I checked).
Old 03-15-2022, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I've had my Smeck for a couple weeks now, I know it's the honeymoon period, but it's hard to put it down. The open airy resonant tone just sucks me in. My best guitar till now has been a Martin M36, I know it's a different body size, but I have lost a little interest in it. Like Draft Guitar, the DF is so good that I am thinking about another Iris, the Iris 000 in rosewood. A guitar will have to go to make room for it though. That will be tough! Also, I hear that Iris is considering building an OM size ! I am enjoying this thread.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Oh No - I did it again!

Well, this is why I have a Love / Hate relationship with the AGF! You guys are hell on my bank account!

Just made an offer and it was accepted on a 12 fret burst Smeck Slothead that was purchased new just 2 months ago. The price was $700 less than a new one and free shipping! So, the waiting game begins as I await my retirement present to myself!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion