The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2024, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Heritage or Clarion or ?

I know there have been threads related to Heritage insurance, but it seemed easier to ask this specific question.

I’ve seen both Heritage and Clarion mentioned for instrument insurance, and I’m wondering if one is less expensive or better than the other. I’ve got several guitars now that I wouldn’t be able to replace if damaged or stolen, so it seems smart to pony up for insurance. I do have a renters policy now, but my understanding is that the coverage and claims process will be much better with a dedicated instrument policy.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:10 PM

I've had Heritage. Robin Riotto. $345 per year. Easy to add and delete instruments. It's been good. Don't know anything about Clarion.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I've had Clarion for some years and my experience is like that of the post above: easy to add/delete instruments and gear. I pay about $300 a year, but have never had a claim. I'm about to increase the coverage of some of my guitars as the replacement values have increased. Clarion will allow this up to $5k without a subsequent appraisal. Fortunately, none of my guitars have reached that level.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been with Clarion for around 10 years. Never had a claim. Easy to manage add/delete, and easy to add an appraisal for valuation of $5k or greater.

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Taylor
Old 01-24-2024, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I’ve had Heritage for over 20 years and they have been excellent. One claim and they handled it beautifully.
FWIW, a friend switched from Heritage to Clarion and ended up preferring Heritage for overall responsiveness and efficiency in both making changes and handling claims. That was 10 years ago though so you might want some more recent feedback.
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I guess I will run some quotes and compare the two.

Does heritage require appraisals? And how much does one usually cost?
Old 01-24-2024, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks all. I guess I will run some quotes and compare the two.

Does heritage require appraisals? And how much does one usually cost?

Heritage does not require appraisals. I say the cost per year for heritage is around 600 per 100k of insurance
Old 01-25-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I've used Anderson for a number of years. Main reason is they include shipping coverage without having to notify each time and pay an extra fee.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 01-25-2024, 09:58 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
I've used Anderson for a number of years. Main reason is they include shipping coverage without having to notify each time and pay an extra fee.
Heritage includes shipping coverage with no need to notify or pay extra.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Heritage includes shipping coverage with no need to notify or pay extra.

Correct. I notified them about shipping a couple times last year and they were like “shut up you’re good.”
Old 01-25-2024, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Correct. I notified them about shipping a couple times last year and they were like “shut up you’re good.”
That’s good to know. I was reading a thread on here wherein someone stated that Heritage reimbursed for a shipping-destroyed guitar with zero trouble. They also had coverage with UPS, who promptly denied the claim.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
I've had Heritage. Robin Riotto. $345 per year. Easy to add and delete instruments. It's been good. Don't know anything about Clarion.
My experience with Heritage and Robin has been great. Prompt replies when adding or deleting gear.

My coverage is about $450 per year I believe, for about $60K of gear. They cover all kinds of music gear, not just guitars.

I sleep much better knowing it is all covered!

And, shipping is automatically covered too. Very convenient. I still pack like crazy and get a couple hundred $ insurance with the shipping co. So they have some skin in the game…

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-25-2024, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I have had Clarion for probably over ten years. I was thinking they had another name when I started and I was thinking it was Heritage, guess that was wrong.

I've not had any claim, they have been fine and I have a bunch of guitars and music equipment. Need to do an update actually.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Anderson, because they cover people globally, even down here in Australia. Cost each year is around 0.5% of insured value.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

This might have some worthy info, although it is dated...

https://umgf.com/heritage-versus-cla...e-t143677.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion