The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2023, 08:16 AM

Default NGD Klos Travel Guitar

As I've gotten older, I've been experiencing discomfort in my shoulder and back. Between that ... and some planned travel in the coming months, I wanted to try something different.

A close friend of mine owns the Klos Dread, which feels slightly smaller than a typical dreadnought due to its rounded back. I was incredibly impressed by its lightweight construction, resonance, and excellent setup. That's why I decided to take the plunge and get its smaller counterpart, the Klos Travel Guitar.

I'm about to embark on several business trips in the upcoming weeks, and I wanted a guitar that could accompany me. The Klos Travel Guitar comes with a detachable neck and can easily fit into a backpack when disassembled. I was able to assemble and tune it up within 5 minutes, and I found the neck joint to be incredibly sturdy. The guitar feels lightweight and resonant. I opted for the tone port upgrade and had the Fishman Sonitone pickup installed in case I decide to plug in at some point.

First and foremost, I want to emphasize that this is one of the finest playing instruments I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I'm not sure if it's the fretwork, neck profile, or string width, but there's something about this guitar (as well as my friend's Klos Dread) that sets it apart as top-tier. It rivals the setup of guitars from PRS USA Core, Collings, Suhr, and others. The guitar practically plays itself.

In terms of tone, the Travel Guitar delivers a sound similar to most smaller body guitars. It's undoubtedly a compromise compared to the rich, full-bodied tone of a larger wooden dreadnought. However, as you play it, you need to ask yourself if you prioritize extreme portability and durability or the absolute best tone possible. The Travel Guitar offers exceptional portability and durability. I'm excited to put it through its paces as I anticipate encountering bumps and bruises during my travels.

Anyway, here are some photos. They are definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for an incredibly durable, consistent, and well-made guitar.

pic uploader
Old 06-24-2023, 08:49 AM

I have heard nothing but great things about Klos guitars. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-24-2023, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Soggy! Very cool Klos mini. Didn't know they had soundports. Enjoy!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-24-2023, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Klos. I'm a big fan of guitars with removable necks. They make travel so much easier, and your guitar much less conspicuous.
Old 06-24-2023, 11:22 AM

I've not played a Klos, but watched J.P. Cormier's review of both the full-size dread and this traveler and he was impressed (which is hard to do with him I gather). I was impressed with that review.

Owning a carbon Journey Overhead I can't tell you how wonderful traveling with a guitar really can be. I love the thing!
Old 06-24-2023, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

A great travel companion indeed! Plan on getting one next time I have some extra spending cash.
Old 11-19-2023, 03:35 PM
Rocket Scientist

Default That's My Boat Guitar!

I've had a Klōs travel guitar since 2019. I spec'd mine with the graphite-reinforced neck and Fishman pickup. It is my boat guitar plus I take it on business trips. I've also plugged it in and played live on stage with it. Great tone and playability at a very reasonable cost.

Last edited by Bobalouie3; 11-19-2023 at 07:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion