The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Default String tension and composition

Is there a relationship between string tension and the material that the string is made of? I have heard different, inconsistent, explanations.

I ask because a friend, that I often play with, likes to tune his guitar a half step below standard pitch. I strung my 615 mm scale Alvarez with D'addario exp 17 mediums. These string feel a bit loose when tuned lower. I would like to try strings that would require a bit more tension at that lower pitch without moving to a heavier gage.

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by k_russell; 08-15-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
Is there a relationship between string tension and the material that the string is made of? I have heard different, inconsistent, explanations.

I ask because a friend, that I often play with, likes to tune his guitar a half step below standard pitch. I strung my 615 mm scale Alvarez with D'addario exp 17 mediums. These string feel a bit loose when tuned lower. I would like to try strings that would require a bit more tension at that lower pitch without moving to a heavier gage.

Any ideas? Thanks
Unfortunately, String gauges & their corresponding tension preferances are different for each player. Mix in the fact that materials used are different as well as the fact that there are round core and hexcore strings. Now you start to get so many different possible combinations.
And Yes, there are many explanations because it can depend on:
*Scale length
**Style of playing---fingerstyle, heavy strumming. And even within those two categories...it still depends on hard hard you pluck. There are those rare fingerstyle players(me) that pluck hard. And there are also those Strummers who pluck soft. So a gauge that works great for one person may not work for another.
***Type of core. Hex versus Round core. As Hex core will feel different on the fingertips than Round core making them feel stiffer than round core.
**** And as you mentioned, how you tune your guitar. Besides tuning down there are a number of different tuning that lower the guitars overall tension. Such as DADGAD tuning.
There are manufacturers that make string gauges geared towards those different tuning. There are even manufactures that allow you to choose you own specific gauges and make up your own set. One such manufacturer is Newtone.
The reality of the matter is there is no defined-specific answer. As it is suited to the players need.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post

Any ideas? Thanks
A 615 mm scale length is quite short. Scale lengths usually range from 630 mm to 650 mm. Obviously, all other things being equal, the overall tension of a set of strings decreases as the scale length is shortened, and lowering the pitch ½ step below A = 440 reduces the set tension further. Increasing string gauge increases tension, although there are several factors involved with any precise calculation (e.g., string composition, ratio of thickness between core and windings for wound strings).

Since you do not want to increase string gauge, the only solution is to use a guitar with a longer scale length, or use medium gauge strings that have higher set tension than a set of D'Addario EXP 17 (e.g., D'Addario Flat Tops, Magma Flatwounds), at least according to the laws of physics.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:11 PM

The tension required to bring any string to pitch depends on the length of the vibrating string and the mass per unit length of the string. Clearly then, scale length is a factor, and material from which the string is made, although I suspect the difference in mass between PB and 80/20 is too small to matter much.

As we’re talking about mass, gauge would definately have a significant effect. No surprise there.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Now that I have read the responses, I'd like to refine my question.

Do you know of a brand of strings that have a higher tension than my exp 17's (at the same gauge) when tuned to standard pitch?

Last edited by k_russell; 08-16-2021 at 07:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion