The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Webber Baritone

Hi,
I just ordered a pre owned Webber baritone, i traded a ooo18 and the deal was to good to say no to.

Anyone here any experience with Webber guitars and is it true he's now retired?

Any info regardless of how trivial is much appreciated.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Musical minimalist

My guess is that David's signature tone with work very well with a Baritone - clarity and string separation are his hallmarks and some baritones tend to lose that.

I think the last thing I heard was that he was still building infrequently for a couple dealers, but not taking orders from individuals any longer.

I've owned a couple dozen of his guitars over the last 17 years or so and really wish I had a couple back.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks fitness1,

One of the things that made me choose this guitar was the comments i've read online about David's guitars, i've not seen or read a bad one.

I've had a couple of baritones over the years but none have lived up to expectations, the last one was a Taylor 410, although wonderfully built and easy to play the sound was so underwhelming that i sold it within days!

I'm hoping the fact that this has a 28inch scale length will make all the difference.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Thanks fitness1,

One of the things that made me choose this guitar was the comments i've read online about David's guitars, i've not seen or read a bad one.
What wood combination?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Default Webber Guitars

I have a 000-12 fret that I'm going to have placed in the coffin and buried with me.

David's work is on a par with anyone out there and his guitars have a well deserved reputation. Fit and finish are excellent as are the tone and playability.

I've never had the chance to play one of his baritones, but it should be stellar, I can't imagine he'd let anything out of his shop that was a dog.

I've been hearing the "retirement" comments for the past year or two, but his web site has no mention of slowing down.

Checking the dealers he has listed on his page there is plenty of new stock out there so I'm not sure what the real story is. You could always shoot him a quick eMail and ask. He's usually pretty good about answering.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I bought a Webber Baritone from my buddy Frank Smith...

This one
https://youtu.be/z_MCsSeEiLI

It was The best baritone I ever had. I find many baritones get muddy …but, Note separation is fantastic. You’re gonna love it!

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 04-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
What wood combination?
Its a Cedar top and r/w b/s.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:41 AM

I've played maybe a dozen or more Webber baritones in different scales and wood combos. (One of my best friends was one of Webber's largest dealers until the friend retired, moving about a third of his annual output. So I've played a lot of Webbers) I have several friends with one, and probably would myself if I hadn't stumbled across such a killer deal on a used Beneteau. I do have a small jumbo, Englemann over Australian Blackwood, the punches well above it's weight and it runs with a couple of McAlisters and a Froggy Bottom. Webbers have always been undervalued.

Webbers in general have great definition and are a bit dry, with great note to note separation. In the baritones that I have played, this translates to a strong, well defined yet not muddy low end. My SJ has awonderful character when tuned down to Open C.

Webber is semi retired now, but is still building a few guitars. Still does a few orders from old customers, but otherwise not taking orders. Blue Dog Guitars in Vancouver seem to be getting some new ones. Waiting on his wife's retirement, so is still building a few to keep himself busy when the skiing sucks, I suppose.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I have a 000-12 fret that I'm going to have placed in the coffin and buried with me.

David's work is on a par with anyone out there and his guitars have a well deserved reputation. Fit and finish are excellent as are the tone and playability.

I've never had the chance to play one of his baritones, but it should be stellar, I can't imagine he'd let anything out of his shop that was a dog.

I've been hearing the "retirement" comments for the past year or two, but his web site has no mention of slowing down.

Checking the dealers he has listed on his page there is plenty of new stock out there so I'm not sure what the real story is. You could always shoot him a quick eMail and ask. He's usually pretty good about answering.
Thanks, if your taking it to the grave then that's one heck of an endorsement for his work.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I've played maybe a dozen or more Webber baritones in different scales and wood combos. (One of my best friends was one of Webber's largest dealers until the friend retired, moving about a third of his annual output. So I've played a lot of Webbers) I have several friends with one, and probably would myself if I hadn't stumbled across such a killer deal on a used Beneteau. I do have a small jumbo, Englemann over Australian Blackwood, the punches well above it's weight and it runs with a couple of McAlisters and a Froggy Bottom. Webbers have always been undervalued.

Webbers in general have great definition and are a bit dry, with great note to note separation. In the baritones that I have played, this translates to a strong, well defined yet not muddy low end. My SJ has awonderful character when tuned down to Open C.

Webber is semi retired now, but is still building a few guitars. Still does a few orders from old customers, but otherwise not taking orders. Blue Dog Guitars in Vancouver seem to be getting some new ones. Waiting on his wife's retirement, so is still building a few to keep himself busy when the skiing sucks, I suppose.
Thanks for your input, it's sounds like you are an authority on his baritones, a dozen you say!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
I bought a Webber Baritone from my buddy Frank Smith...

This one
https://youtu.be/z_MCsSeEiLI

It was The best baritone I ever had. I find many baritones get muddy …but, Note separation is fantastic. You’re gonna love it!
Thanks, That's a sweet sounding baritone.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:20 PM

I have a 1995 Cedar/Rosewood OM, and it is a wonderful guitar. I bought it NOS in 1998 and still play it regularly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion