The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Auto-trim tuning machines

Anyone have any experience with these? I despise restringing my guitars, so they're not always as fresh as they should be. Wondering how reliable these are. I bought a set for my gig guitar but haven't installed them yet.

My main concern is having them pop off in the middle of a set.

Also at the beginning of a set. Or near the end.

Anytime would be bad really.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...uning+machines
Old 03-29-2018, 08:30 AM

Over at Muscian's Friend, there are some reports of what you fear in the reviews of these tuners.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I used these on one of my electric guitars for several years. Never had a single problem... if I was still playing out, I'd strongly consider using them again.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-29-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

The trim part is stupid, but this is just a locking tuner and I've got locking tuners on all of my electrics because I, too, hate changing strings. I have them on one acoustic and wouldn't hesitate to put them on others, but there aren't a lot of elegant styled ones for acoustic guitar.

Gotoh makes really easy and great ones, Sperzel does, too. Kluson's are super heavy, but work fine.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
The trim part is stupid, but this is just a locking tuner and I've got locking tuners on all of my electrics because I, too, hate changing strings. I have them on one acoustic and wouldn't hesitate to put them on others, but there aren't a lot of elegant styled ones for acoustic guitar.

Gotoh makes really easy and great ones, Sperzel does, too. Kluson's are super heavy, but work fine.
Yeah, the trim part wasn't a priority, it's attaching the strings that drives me nutso. I'll take a look at these now that I know they exist.

Thanks gang, any further comments appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion