The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Default String Tension & Shipping a Guitar

I'm about to package a guitar to ship to a buyer. The few articles that I have read and videos that I have viewed, indicate loosening the string tension.

I have received 3 classical guitars (two from the builders, one from a shop) and 2 steel string acoustic guitars (from shops). All of these guitars arrived tuned to standard pitch.

If you ship, or have shipped, guitars, what do you do about the string tension?

Last edited by k_russell; 02-25-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:29 AM

You are likely to find that most people will detune the guitar. There is a thought that should any trauma occur while shipping it is more likely to cause headstock damage if under tension. I know several builders who do not feel this to be true and I have asked many to send the guitars to me in tune so that the first notes I hear from the guitar are not me tuning the strings. I have not had a problem, but I am sure you will get a variety of responses.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:31 AM

I believe Larrivee ships their instruments at 440 pitch. My most recent instrument came that way.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:35 AM

Everybody has their opinion on this subject.

Larrivée recommends leaving the tension on for shipping.

https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Shippi...trument_v2.pdf
Old 02-25-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
I'm about to package a guitar to ship to a buyer. The few articles that I have read and videos that I have viewed, indicate loosening the string tension.

I have received 3 classical guitars (two from the builders, one from a shop) and 2 steel string acoustic guitars (from shops). All of these guitars arrived tuned to standard pitch.

If you ship, or have shipped, guitars, what do you do about the string tension?
Yes, I have noticed the the guitar **makers** ship with full tension. I have had Eastmans, Martins and Gibsons straight from the factory, and they arrived tuned up and ready to play. This is just my observation. I can't say what it might mean. It's only the shops and the private sellers who detune, in my observations.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 02-25-2024, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

As others have said, opinion seems to be split whether to tune down or not. Several high-end shops specify keeping the guitar at full tension when returning a guitar, so it’s not just manufacturers. Probably more important than the tension is the support of the headstock to prevent “whiplash” if the box is dropped, etc. The best packing job I’ve ever seen is from a guitar that I bought from Gryphon. I didn’t take photos of all the layers of protection, but these should give you an idea:

Crumpled paper, soft foam or bubble wrap wadded up behind the headstock will help immobilize the neck where it is cradled by the case (the paper in the case above was on top of and behind the headstock). The strip of paper under the strings to protect the fretboard and frets was a nice touch.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:06 PM

Shipping is usually a short enough time that it won't matter much one way or the other. That being said, if the guitar is set up, then the neck is either designed for (classical) or the truss rod is adjusted for a specific tension. Not having that tension means the neck is not at equilibrium, but pulling back with no (or reduced) counter force.

I think proper packaging and support will have a much bigger impact on the forces experienced by the headstock than having it tuned to pitch will.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:26 PM
Musical minimalist

I always take it down a half step and fully support the headstock inside the case (top and bottom)

I believe in most cases, it's more likely to have the neck crack at the nut if there is less tension. When "whiplash" happens, the headstock will flex more.

The half step option is just to take a little tension away from the top/bridge area.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:50 PM

I have always followed Jean Larrivée’s advice to ship with strings at full tension and never had a problem after shipping several acoustic guitars.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all,

I immobilized the guitar in the hardshell case, left the strings tuned to standard pitch, and padded/supported the headstock (classical guitar). The guitar is taking a short trip (Philadelphia to NYC). I don't expect an issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion