The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2023, 02:16 PM

Default Does scale length affect setup?

I have a new OM that is has a slightly shorter scale length (24 13/16") than normal. Would I set this instrument up using the same setup measurements that I would normally use? In other words, should the measurement at the 12th fret be the same for this guitar as a full scale length guitar?

Thanks!
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 02-14-2023, 02:43 PM

I have all of my guitars set up with approximately the same string height, regardless of scale length.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:44 PM

I am not a guitar tech nor do I play one on T.V., but I do my own set ups and they have worked out pretty well. My opinion is that there is not even a measurable difference in the various setup heights and such between a 24 13/16” scale length and one of More or less 25 1/2” scale length. And, most of these adjustments are made to the preference of the player.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. It's good to know that I should be able to use my typical setup specs. Thanks!
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 02-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

It can. Short scale length means lower tension (everything else constant), which could lead to some fret buzz depending on what action and relief you normally use. I wouldn't think that would be an issue for the scale length you mentioned. For even shorter scales people often use medium strings to avoid the buzz.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

For an example, I put low tension newtone heritage strings on a 24.85 scale guitar set up to have just lower than “standard” action and they buzzed in relation to how hard they were played. Would have needed a slightly higher action to work well and I would not have been able to tune them down at all had I wanted to.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

I set all my guitars up with same setup.

Extremely low. Have truss rod wrench in all cases, as adjustments are necessary with weather changes.

Those who prefer a bit higher action than I, may not notice much of a difference..
Old 02-15-2023, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Because of the lower string tension, you might need more neck relief or higher string height. It depends on how you play

There's only one way to find out, pay it hard and find out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion