The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2022, 04:34 PM

Default Bill Monroe Bluesgrass Festival Workshops?

I'm heading to the Bill Monroe Bluegrass Festival on June 18 and I saw some of the events listed as work shops. I've never been to workshop at music festival, what are they? Are they just a fancy word for a jam with a few lessons thrown in? Should you bring an instrument to one? Also will a finger-style/ Travis-style guitarist have a place at bluegrass workshop or jam?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

It is generally a class, an hour or two, sometimes a morning or afternoon,. There is a presenter, it could be someone they bring in, the headliner, or just somebody in the organization putting on the festival. Yes, take your guitar. No one is going to care what you bring. If it is a bluegrass festival there probably won't be a finger style workshop, but who knows. I'm not saying there can't be.

There should be a list of what workshops they are having and you can pick and choose what interests you and what you want to learn more about. They are usually low key laid back classes, no pressure, and no matter what they are about you come away with some knowledge that you didn't have before. I go to festivals just for the workshops.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-08-2022, 12:04 AM

We go to a lot of bluegrass festivals. I always bring my guitar to the workshops. Some workshops you will play and others you won't. The quality of the workshops vary. The are generally taught by players from the performing bands. Although they are always good players, they are only sometimes good teachers. They are always interesting, but sometimes it is more a chat with the musician than instruction.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

In the past I used to participate in an annul British bluegrass camp and attended many "workshops" (which are separate and optional from the specific instrument/skill related daily lessons.

Being bluegrass/old-time related most of these were given /led by visiting American Artists. They rarely involved teaching guitars (or whatever) specifically, but were talks more about performing techniques and personal history of the speaker/speakers, with some stories and anecdotes thrown in, and with a marketing opportunity!

One remarkable exception was a series of talks/illustrations by my friend "Hippy Joe Hymas of Hayseed Dixie, who gave (albeit very early in the morning a very well thought out discussion and illustration of his bluegrass/rock mandolin style.

I have also attended similar at a famous British folk festivals (Usually early on the Sunday morning !!) and one (by Isaac Guillory) I found "revelationary" , but others, (Leo Kottke) he had little to say, and simply played some of his better known pieces.

YMMV etc.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I'm heading to the Bill Monroe Bluegrass Festival on June 18 and I saw some of the events listed as work shops. I've never been to workshop at music festival, what are they? Are they just a fancy word for a jam with a few lessons thrown in? Should you bring an instrument to one? Also will a finger-style/ Travis-style guitarist have a place at bluegrass workshop or jam?
My experience with jams has been everyone is welcome. When I first started going to jams I didn't even bother to take the pick out of my case. The only time I am sure to use a pick is when it is my turn to pick a song.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-08-2022, 05:50 AM

I've been to multiple bluegrass festivals over the years. The workshops range from 45 minute sessions with an unethusiastic lower level performer randomly chattering (or simply performing with virtually no interaction) to all-day instruction sessions with top players (Byron Berline, John Reischman, Emory Lester, etc.). I've also presented a few workshops.

Anything less than an hour in length is not worth my time. Anything with more than 20 attendees breaks down into chaotic noodling. The best instructors (John Reischman for example) come fully prepared with a plan and handouts and don't let things go off track into the pointless often-repeated rambling Q&A - "what pick do you recommend?" "what strings should I use?" "can you show me the lick from xyz?"

Most of the ones I've been to end up focusing on teaching the attendees one single song, which is not really what I'm looking for.

Also, regardless of sign-up criteria which may specify the workshop is geared to intermediate or advanced players, you'll always find quite a range of ability which means some are going to feel overwhelmed and some are going to be bored.

Some basics are: DON'T be that person who constantly noodles or plays along while the instructor is trying to demonstrate something. There will be times when they will ask you or everyone to participate - wait for those. Don't treat it like your own private lesson - you might be the overwhelmed or bored player but either way don't insist the whole class cater to what any one person needs. If you find the workshop isn't working for you exit quietly during a break.

If you get a chance to ask a question, this one has proven to be the most useful:
Ask the instructor what are (if there are any) the few things they learned at some point that would have REALLY been helpful to know at the start of their musical journey? Their answer may be one or two things that will unlock solutions in your own development.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion