The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 AM

Default symphatetic buzz

Hi,

I have a symphatetic buzz problem that would not go away
and it happens only when I am using capo on the guitar.

This is how it would normally happen; I will have a capo on second fret, and I will be playing an open G chord, as soon as I play the high E string, I will hear a faint buzz coming from the low E string. The buzz is caused by the low E string resonating in response to the high E string being plucked and it is coming from the stretch of low E string between the capo and the third fret from the capo where I am pressing the root note of the G chord. The buzzing stops as soon as I place a finger on the second fret, which essentially stops the resonant vibration on that part of the string. Does the low E string resonates symphatetically between the 3rd fret up to the saddle, I think it does, but between this stretch none of the frets are touching the string so I don't see the problem here. This is also why I don't see the problem when I am playing without capo. The nut provides a certain height clearance between the string and the fret, so if I play the same G chord with the root now on the 3rd fret, there is enough string clearance above the frets between the nut and the 3rd fret, that the symphatetic resonance is not going to cause any buzzing.

As you can see from the description above, if I am using a capo, the strings are pressed against the fret where I place the capo, so there is no height clearance between the string and the frets in that strecth between the capo and the note that I am pressing on the finger board.

I have tried adjusting truss rod and changing string gauge without success.
Uneven frets is not the issue here because I have checked the frets and they are level. I don't think any geometric adjustments will solve this issue as it is happening at an area where saddle/nut height and truss rod adjustments will have no impact on the problem. It is really the resonance that is causing this and I am stumped, the only solution seems to be that I need to adjust my playing by damping the string at the position right behind the note that I am pressing, but then I would have to graft an extra finger to do that.

Any suggestions/inputs will be much appreciated.

Oetomoepi.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:29 AM

could be a loose brace
Old 11-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Welcome to the world of buzzes that are the vain of our (luthiers) existence.
Does this problem still happen if you move the capo up to fret 3 and do the same thing?
My initial thought is that you might have a high fret somewhere. Probably fret 3 (relative to your capo) is just a little high. You might have that checked out.
Also do you have a pickup in this? Wires are the most common problem when harmonic buzzes occur. Only certain frequencies will make them vibrate enough to buzz.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion