The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-14-2024, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Default string buzz after changing strings

Hello all, thanks in advance to anyone who might be able/willing to help with this. I have a Lowden S50-J, and I love this guitar. I recently changed the strings - same tension, different brand - took one string off at a time. Strung one string at a time. When I finished, there was a noticeable buzz on the D string, but only when I use a Capo. It is not a subtle thing, it is definitely there. I thought maybe I had a defective string, so I changed again, still there. Was not there before changing strings the first time. (new guitar to me - my first string change). Could this be something that I might fix with a neck adjustment? Only one string, but kinda right in the middle. Maybe loose electronics in the pickup (LR Braggs - comes with the S50-J) but the pickup is working fine. If it is a neck adjustment problem, is that something I can do myself?
Thanks again for your help, I am super bummed because this guitar is so fun to play, and really gorgeous, but the buzzing D is a buzz kill.
(For those who don't know, this is a 12 hole bridge, nylon string guitar.)
Leesa

Last edited by Merlemantel; 03-17-2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 PM

With the capo on does it buzz only when open and not fretted?
If so check your capo.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
With the capo on does it buzz only when open and not fretted?
If so check your capo.
Fretted too
Old 03-15-2024, 03:21 AM

Default Lots of possibilities…

Including a resonance caused by the mass of the capo. Have you got Another capo you can try?

Identifying the source of buzzing can be time-consuming. Where it’s not immediately obvious I pluck the string continuously while placing my fingers on various parts of the guitar: machine heads, headstock, bridge, saddle, etc. I always worth checking basic setup parameters as well to make sure something isn’t out of whack.

Strings aren’t identical, and nylon string tensions are far from consistent across brands. Fluorocarbon strings are more dense and therefore require less diameter than the nylon variety.

If you can measure the action at the 12th fret and also the neck relief at the 6th fret using feller gauges then this may reveal a cause.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Fretted too
If your d string buzzes no matter where you fret it with either a capo or your finger the height where it crosses the saddle is too low.
Old 03-16-2024, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Same gauge doesn't mean same tension. There's probably something else at play but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Fretted too
I'm a little unclear as to what is happening -- if you capo on the 2nd fret and play the open D string it will buzz, right? But if you take the capo off and play the same note with your finger on the second fret it will not buzz?
instagram
Old 03-16-2024, 03:10 PM

Funnily enough my new D string buzzes when open. any fretting stops it, as does holding at the nut.

Took all strings off and back on today, still there

It seems to be at the bridge
Old 03-16-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev112 View Post
Funnily enough my new D string buzzes when open. any fretting stops it, as does holding at the nut.

Took all strings off and back on today, still there

It seems to be at the bridge
I'd guess it's your nut slot that's the problem. If fretting it stops it, it's not the saddle.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
I'm a little unclear as to what is happening -- if you capo on the 2nd fret and play the open D string it will buzz, right? But if you take the capo off and play the same note with your finger on the second fret it will not buzz?
Sorry, no, buzzes fretted or with Capo, seems worse with Capo, but present when fretted too, and the difference may be imaginary. starts happening at 4th, 5th frets and higher. I think it is a neck relief thing, but why only one string?
Old 03-17-2024, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd guess it's your nut slot that's the problem. If fretting it stops it, it's not the saddle.
This was from someone else, not the OP.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If your d string buzzes no matter where you fret it with either a capo or your finger the height where it crosses the saddle is too low.
Starts happening at about the 4th or 5th fret. Not the lower frets. And it did not do it before the string change - saddle is in the same place as before.

You probably know, but this is a nylon string guitar. 12 hole bridge.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry, no, buzzes fretted or with Capo, seems worse with Capo, but present when fretted too, and the difference may be imaginary. starts happening at 4th, 5th frets and higher. I think it is a neck relief thing, but why only one string?
Was your saddle intonated previous to the buzz starting? Possibly the spot where your d string passes over was lowered a little too much if so.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was your saddle intonated previous to the buzz starting? Possibly the spot where your d string passes over was lowered a little too much if so.
Interesting. I dont know the answer to your question, I bought the guitar used from Robin at guitargal.com - it is an 8,000 dollar guitar, so I assume so, but who knows. It played beautifully before this buzzing thing started. The saddle is not compensated, if that is what you mean. Also, it has a braggs pickup installed, which has a metal ribbon that runs under the saddle. I checked it, and it was lying exactly where it should.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I dont know the answer to your question, I bought the guitar used from Robin at guitargal.com - it is an 8,000 dollar guitar, so I assume so, but who knows. It played beautifully before this buzzing thing started. The saddle is not compensated, if that is what you mean. Also, it has a braggs pickup installed, which has a metal ribbon that runs under the saddle. I checked it, and it was lying exactly where it should.
From what you say, it sounds like the saddle had not been worked on just previous to you changing strings. It still sounds to me that the buzz is caused by the saddle being too low just at the d string. Measure the distance from the bottom of the d string to the fretboard and the same for each adjacent string. Is the d string lower?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair