The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-23-2024, 07:12 PM

Default Cracked bridge

I have a crack on my bridge. Is this something I can fill with wood putty or something? It's a very inexpensive guitar, so I wouldn't take it to the shop, but if there's something I can do, I'd like to.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:36 PM

Thin super glue, dropped in the crack using a toothpick. It may take multiple applications.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:45 PM

The bridge appears to be rosewood? If the bridge is otherwise stable and not lifting, the cracks could be filled with super glue and fine rosewood sawdust, then sanded smooth, since it is a "inexpensive guitar". It should look ok but not perfect.

If this later fails, the bridge could be removed, replicated and replaced which I would do if it were mine, but I've done that before.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:47 PM

I'm not a luthier, but the pic shows the crack running through the lower row of bridge pin holes. They're wowed out and the pins don't appear to be seated correctly anymore.

If this were my guitar I'd remove the strings and pins, fill the crack with an appropriate glue and clamp.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-23-2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Thin super glue, dropped in the crack using a toothpick. It may take multiple applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
The bridge appears to be rosewood? If the bridge is otherwise stable and not lifting, the cracks could be filled with super glue and fine rosewood sawdust, then sanded smooth, since it is a "inexpensive guitar". It should look ok but not perfect.

If this later fails, the bridge could be removed, replicated and replaced which I would do if it were mine, but I've done that before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I'm not a luthier, but the pic shows the crack running through the lower row of bridge pin holes. They're wowed out and the pins don't appear to be seated correctly anymore.

If this were my guitar I'd remove the strings and pins, fill the crack with an appropriate glue and clamp.
Thanks guys for the info. It's a $250 guitar when new and it was a gift to me, so it didn't cost me anything, making me a little flexible on dealing with it. Sounds like it should be fine for me to remove the strings and fill the crack up with superglue. I'm not worried if it shows a bit.

I am not sure what's normal for the pins, but I agree that it looks like the back ones are seated a bit lower than the front ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair