The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Thumbs down Would this be wise?

I found out a couple weeks ago that my services at work are no longer required. My final day - unless I find another position in the company - is Nov 7. I'll stick around til then to get the severance, as there are not a lot of good paying jobs - and fewer still for a guy in the back half of his 50's. When I look, I want a good job, just not anything.

That being said, I am wondering: I have a few guitars I want to sell, but also would like to get a new one. When my wife passed away early last year I bought a nice Larrivee, and that guitar is special because of what I was living through. Is it wise to look for a new guitar now? Or should I hang tight. I've done foolish things in the past, don't want to do that again. But I also feel I need something in my life positive right now.

Thanks!

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM

I would put off buying something new until things improve.

And certainly don't buy anything new unless you pay for it with guitars you've sold.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:58 PM

Dear Dave, sorry to hear that. I think it is very difficult to give a valuable advice here.. It depends on your finances.. I think you deserve something to light up a dark period, but whether it is affordable or not, you only know.. What about trading one or two guitars you are not particularly connected to for a new one?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Keep the Larry, and hang tight. You have all the guitar you'll need.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 PM

Age 55 here. Just my opinion, but I would hold off for a while if it were me. A bird in the hand and all that.... That might give you the flexibility to hang on for a better job, not being forced to take anything just to keep up with the bills. Plus the used guitar market is pretty slow these days, with resale values being quite low. I have a few nice guitars that I want to sell (one Martin and two nice Taylor's) but the only things that move seem to be for 35 cents on the dollar.

Remember the old saying: when a door closes, a window often opens. Best of luck.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

In general, I believe that when dramatic and possibly traumatic stuff happens in life, it's a bad time to make decisions that can be deferred until a later time. I can think of at least two people that I gave this advice to after they lost a spouse. One was contemplating a career change and the other, selling a house. I made it clear to both of them that I couldn't foretell the future and that it was just an informed opinion, as I recommended their not making any big changes. After the dust settled, and for years thereafter, both said that they greatly appreciated the advice and were really glad they didn't rush into things. I mention their reactions not as a form of self-congratulation but to suggest that, at least anecdotally, some people have felt that not jumping into a decision was beneficial.

Every situation is different and I can't be sure what's right for you. Nor can anyone. But decisions are hard to reverse sometimes. If doing nothing regarding your guitar is an option until things in your life settle down a bit, that might be the way to go.

Again, just my opinion, given with little knowledge of your specific circumstances.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:08 PM

On the financial side, only you know.
Would a new guitar help ? That's possible, but again, only you know.

We all have a propensity to look for a solution outside when we could find it inside.

OK, easier to say than to do.

But I often find in a neglected guitar some music I didn't know was there.

Take care.

(two new answers were posted when I was writing my post, and I agree with them)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 10-02-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdave View Post
I found out a couple weeks ago that my services at work are no longer required. My final day - unless I find another position in the company - is Nov 7. I'll stick around til then to get the severance, as there are not a lot of good paying jobs - and fewer still for a guy in the back half of his 50's. When I look, I want a good job, just not anything.

That being said, I am wondering: I have a few guitars I want to sell, but also would like to get a new one. When my wife passed away early last year I bought a nice Larrivee, and that guitar is special because of what I was living through. Is it wise to look for a new guitar now? Or should I hang tight. I've done foolish things in the past, don't want to do that again. But I also feel I need something in my life positive right now.

Thanks!
Do it; if it makes you feel good then that's absolutely a positive, and God knows we need as much positive as we can get in this crappy world. I'm 62, work a low paid lousy job, don't have great health and the occasional hard saved for new guitar makes up for all of that. I say bugger practicality, pragmatism and procrastination!
Condolences for your sad loss.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustdave View Post

Thanks!

To me, it seems very foolish to buy a new toy when your job is ending next month, and you are not optimistic for a suitable replacement of income?

Don
Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM

Curiously, when I was going through a divorce 15 years ago, the therapist that I was talking to during the time suggested I SHOULD do something for nice for myself, treat myself (which seems to go against the general response trend here).

I did (bought a custom ordered Goodall). I don't have that guitar anymore - or any of the many that I got in trade or bought with the meager profit off sales from successive guitars... but it did help lift my spirits.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Sorry for your loss. What is the benefit of not getting a new guitar? How much does that matter? Hope your luck improves soon.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear about the work situation. I can tell you that now is not the time to sell that Larrivee. First, your sentimental attachment to it cannot be measured in price. Second, the used market is such that now is not a good time to sell any guitar.

In terms of buying a new guitar, while it might seem valuable to treat yourself now, you might be better off waiting until you have a shot at another job. But that's just my .02.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM

If you can do it without killing your finances, then it would be a fine thing to do. But you have that Larrivee, so I have to wonder how much you would have to spend to get something else that would be worth the time and money.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 10-02-2014, 01:55 PM

My thought is if you can trade for one now and it will bring a perk of joy then do it now while you can.

I sympathise with the loss of your wife. You know how unpredictable life is. Enjoy it. You know the answer yourself.

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Dave;
Go ahead ! Reason WHY ?
It will help you through your difficult times, THEN if the need arises, you can sell the guitar.
You will probably lose a bit, but getting through your difficulties is worth more than what you will lose.

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion