The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Eastman AC322CE VS Taylor 314CE again!

I know this has been discussed before but some more educated opinions can be quite helpful.

Especially since there are few Eastman dealers in NYC and none have the Eastman AC322CE in stock. As a matter almost all dealers are out of stock at this point in time. Not any used ones on Ebay.

So I have no way of trying one......it seems to be exactly what I am looking for.....a less expensive version of the famous Taylor 314CE...one of the best selling Taylor models.

Specs are very similar so it seems like a good question.

I am looking for a very comfortable neck with good action that has the playability of an electric guitar.....like the Taylor. Then why not get a Taylor? As I said a guitar that is very very similar at a lower price (don't care where its made, of course I prefer the USA) is something that catches my interest as an option.

I have seen as many videos on youtube of the Eastman. I like the sound.....every review seemed to be a good one.

A few helpful forum members suggested I look into getting an Eastman....so I am!

I can order a new one with a return option for $799 that includes free shipping so I can return it if I don't like it.

I don't think I'll find a used Taylor 314CE for that price. I'm seeing like $1200

I see that many many people on this forum own Eastmans so I would love to hear your opinion on that guitar. I realize it is a subjective thing and several people give Taylor a slight edge in playability which is of the utmost importance for me. Others say it plays like a dream and actually prefer its sound to the Taylor.

I cannot understand why Eastman dealers carry other models but they don't seem to stock this most popular model? Yes it could be out of stock cause they are popular but why stock several other less popular models????

As far as resale value which is a factor most people say Taylor wins....yet there are so few Eastman AC322CE for sale anywhere perhaps in this case an Eastman might fetch a decent used price.

Any input greatly appreciated!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 PM

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time getting your hands on one. I love mine so much that I wouldn't sell it. If other peoples AC322s are as good as mine, I can see why they aren't many used ones up for sale. Hope you get your hands on one soon. I think its a great guitar.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 PM

WoW...another satisfied owner. This might just be one desirable guitar at its price point.

THANKYOU.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 PM

I think you nailed it in your first post. The ac322 is a no bling simple but beautifull guitar (to me). It is built like a tank, but some people have noted the nitro finish (delicate). I haven't had a problem with mine. Plays like a dream acoustically and plugged. It is one best bang for the bucks. Most friends that have played it commented on it and could not believe it. They are both Taylor owners... When you get one make sure there is no hump swell at the neck body joint.very rare but can happen with any guitar...Good luck with your search. Post when you get it..you'll see

Last edited by revelator; 04-10-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 PM

If you are in the nyc area and have a car, check with Alto music to see if they have the Eastman. The Middletown store in Orange county is their main store and is well stocked
Old 04-10-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popguy View Post
WoW...another satisfied owner. This might just be one desirable guitar at its price point.

THANKYOU.
I don't know. There are several other good guitars out there at your price point. I'm not a brand loyal person. If you pick up something that you really like, a guitar that really speaks to you, grab it up...name on the headstock matters not. What matters is how well the guitar works for you. It is my opinion that the build quality/sound quality of an Eastman AC322CE is pretty hard to beat at your price point.

Louden Silent Guitar

Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Rudy's in Soho as well as Rudy's on 48th street are Eastman dealers
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM

I did not see any ac322ce when I visited Rudys (48th) a couple of weeks ago. The salesman there told me they mostly concentrate on retro (non cutaway models). They did have a E20 SS style rosewood Eastman that impressed me more than the mahogany model E10 SS. But those are completely different flavors...
Old 04-10-2015, 08:01 PM

Nope Rudy's doesn't stock it at either location. (New one in Soho)
Matt Uminov....nope. They have others but not the Eastman AC322C

They both say they have no plans to stock it. ???

Would love to try before I buy. But.....I've had great luck buying Shecters online for some of my electrics.
Mail order!

(curious to see if Eastman is discontinuing it. Happens all the time with other companies...but such a great model...I will contact them and report back)

Anyone know?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

You may also want to consider Baden Guitars...send TJ an email through their website and he'll ship you two guitars and let you test drive them in your home.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:52 PM

Nobody has an Eastman AC322ce in stock....

But I did try the Taylor 314CE....

I liked the sound but the body was too big and overall the neck was a bit too wide for me.

Perhaps a Taylor Concert body.

Or can anyone suggest an Eastman model or any other guitar that is a bit slimmer with a neck more like an electric guitar.

I can see sitting/playing with a GA body but for me standing and gigging with one seems problematic.

I'd like to spend around 1k new or used.

thanks
Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 PM

I did play one of these bad boys. It really has a vintage look, feel, and sound to it. The neck may still be a bit wide for you though.

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoust...adnought-e10ss
Louden Silent Guitar

Old 04-11-2015, 06:51 PM

Lightbulb

mI really love Eastman guitars, There is a Music and Arts near me , They have 1 Dread and several GA cutaways. They have some type of deal with Eastman where 2 guitars have a special price, and the model number is different. The Dread was an AC120, but their number is HC120, but it is exactly the same guitar, they usually charge 399 for it. I was there last night and they had one that was so nice, plus they give you the hard shell case with it ,instead of a gig bag. Their fret work is awesome, love their neck profile. Last nights guitar was so awesome, set up was perfect, sounded so sweet. The spruce on the solid top was so nice. The tone was so sweet. The other deal guitar is a HC122ce, which they sell for 439. It also comes with a hard shell case. It had bearclaw on the whole solid spruce top. The tone on it to me was not as good as the Dread , but it could have been, that I like the Dread tone better. They also had an AC222ce, and an AC322ce. They had a pretty good selection of Breedloves, some Epiphones and others. I think the Eastman AC120 is nicer than a Taylor 110. The neck is 1 3/4 inch which is usually too wide for me, but with the neck profile and string spacing ,on this guitar that width felt great.
http://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoust...adnought-ac120

Snark Tuner

Last edited by guit3090; 04-12-2015 at 02:08 AM. Reason: l
Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I was going to mention Music & Arts to you as well. There are a couple on Long Island. If you have access to a car, it would be worth calling them to see what they have in stock. They had a 522 for less than you saw a 322 elsewhere, and a friend almost bought it. He decided not to learn guitar and brought it back. If I needed another guitar, I'd have bought it. There's a store in Lindenhurst, very nice folks, and I believe that store is right by a LIRR train station, so can take mass transit very easily as well.

For the record, I liked that M & A guitar better than any Taylor 314 I ever played.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman ac322ce, eastman ac322cw, taylor 314ce