The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2024, 10:28 AM

Here's a recent shot.

PA is the EV Evolve 30m

Pedalboard consists of
Boss TU2 Tuner>Line6 Pod Express>Boss RC500 Loop station

Sennheiser 935 >Vocal mic into the TC Helicon Mic mechanic

The stand on left has 2 iPads (mini to control the EV Smart App)
the other iPad is for my Lyrics if "needed".

Old 03-26-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

I would say that I play live a lot of the time without any pa system at all. This is usually doing solo spots during our Welsh MVC concerts each month. So I would be playing/singing to audiences of 70+ folks in hotel function rooms, village halls or churches. It is great to turn up and play with just your guitar - nothing else!

Where I need some "lift" such as small bars, pubs ect I use my Rode NT1a ldc mic', plugged into whatever pa the venue has. I have just ordered a new cheap mic' - Lewitt LCT 240 pro with cradle and wind shield - and a very compact mixer - Sub Zero SZMix04. I have a couple of powered speakers, so I'm going to see what I can do with that simple set-up (mic - mixer - powered speakers) as a complete system for gigs where I need to provide the pa. I sometimes play/sing with a friend as a duo, and running just one stage mic' to cover instruments and vocals for us both is a great set-up for that type of performance. It looks good on stage and really makes the most of being an acoustic "duo" - plus it make singing close harmonies together much easier than using two mic's.

I'll be interested to see how the Lewitt LCT 240 Pro performs. I contacted the company in Vienna, Austria a couple of months ago to ask about bluegrass single mic'ing a stage, and they suggested their cheapest mic' as being a good option! It does seem to have a good cardioid pattern at all frequencies, so I'm expecting to just have to roll a little off the top to get a high level of gain before feedback from it.

I have been trying to find a Behringer FBQ800 compact e/q to help ring out any room but they are not available new at present. I have the Ultragraph Pro, so that will do the job but it is quite big and stereo (which I don't need). For single mic' stages you can sometimes run a slightly higher volume in some rooms by using a 15 band e/q to ring the room rather than the two or 3 bands on a compact mixer. I have a Behringer FEX800 so I can chain that in if I find the single mic' is a little dry in a room.

I think that the Lewitt LCT 240 Pro into a small acoustic amp (set forward of the mic' line) could be a really nice set-up for those "coffee house" gigs. For some acoustic amps you may need a compact mixer (like the Sub Zero) to provide 48v phantom power. Anyway, I'll know after I have tested it.

The other rig that I use is two dynamic mic's - one up one down. 58 for voice and 57 for guitar. If I need a little more headroom for say a Friday night pub then this is what I will go for. I always seem to get plenty of push from mic'ing my guitars. I know that it is not popular here on AGF - but I wonder if that is simply lack of familiarity with using a mic'? As I have said before, I think that the way you use a vocal mic' determines how well you can balance a mic'd guitar. It's not rocket science, but it is science. Sound falls away by the square. You can't be on top of the vocal mic' and get a guitar to mic' well. But if you are 8" off the vocal mic' then using a mic' for guitar becomes really easy.

I don't have a rig for plugging in my guitars.
That was excellent! Great balance between voice/mic and guitar/mic.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Great pics, videos and comments everyone! Keep them coming!
Old 03-26-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
That orange thing would defeat me, and the looper would compound the fracture. When Fire-Eye built the Red-Eye, they had players like me in mind.

I don't have pictures of mine.
I hear ya. I had a friend dumb it down to about 5th grade level for me.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Last night. This place has a PA but I used my rig.
GTR (Maton) > MXR 10-band > FX8 (occasional looper and delays) > Zed10fx
Vocal mic is EVND96
1 QSC CP8 as wedge
1QSC K8 as main (2 if it's a bigger room, etc.)
oops 2nd pic rotated

IMG_3948.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3949.jpg (47.1 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by SGFletch; 03-26-2024 at 03:01 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-26-2024, 03:19 PM

I don't have a picture at the moment but I recently ditched a Bose L1 Pro8 for a QSC K8.2 and it's working much better for my needs. I wasn't getting enough volume out of the Pro8 and I was feeling like it was time for a change. The K8 also sounds dramatically better to me.

I've also ditched using a board; I'm using a Felix for both vocals and guitar and sending the signals out to the K8; vocals out at mic level, guitar out at line level. I'll probably blend the signals and send one out once I upgrade to the Felix 2. The reason I'm not currently doing so is that I have reverb+delay, compression, and a looper in the effects loop for guitar.

Currently debating how to configure a pedalboard to handle the above; also likely moving from a Ditto x2 to an RC-500. Using an ETL Edwina for vocals; I like it just fine, will probably keep that for now.

Anyway, here's the old setup:
https://youtu.be/uZw0Ta5x6d0?si=Ijr-urFZyMHkkOs3
Old 03-27-2024, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Martin SC10e-Sapele (LR Baggs Element VTC) into Tech 21 Acoustic FlyRig to EHX 720 looper to Everse 8. Sennheiser 935 mic.
For outdoor gigs I use a Rainsong CH-OM instead with JBL Eon610s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kleins 2-2-24b.jpg (38.8 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Food truck Festival 2023d.jpg (51.6 KB, 224 views)

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 03-27-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Papermoon. Just spent sometime watching your YouTube stuff. Excellent!
May have to take a look at an Edwina. How is it for feedback in your setup?
Old 03-28-2024, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMoon View Post
I don't have a picture at the moment but I recently ditched a Bose L1 Pro8 for a QSC K8.2 and it's working much better for my needs. I wasn't getting enough volume out of the Pro8 and I was feeling like it was time for a change. The K8 also sounds dramatically better to me.

I've also ditched using a board; I'm using a Felix for both vocals and guitar and sending the signals out to the K8; vocals out at mic level, guitar out at line level. I'll probably blend the signals and send one out once I upgrade to the Felix 2. The reason I'm not currently doing so is that I have reverb+delay, compression, and a looper in the effects loop for guitar.

Currently debating how to configure a pedalboard to handle the above; also likely moving from a Ditto x2 to an RC-500. Using an ETL Edwina for vocals; I like it just fine, will probably keep that for now.

Your version of Autumn Leaves was great. I want to add it to my group''s setlist.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:44 AM

My setup is in my signature. You can see how I use it live in my YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GEDG1QYfZs8U-T

When I play solo, I don't use the little monitor. I just move the LD Maui system behind me a bit. But with my partner, I need to use the monitor because he doesn't want to hear the main system mix. He has only his vocal in his monitor.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

Last edited by Stratcat77; 03-28-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Your videos are great! and fun.

I too use the Ditto X2 and AH ZED 10FX
Old 03-28-2024, 11:15 AM

I very much appreciate Robin's post about using microphones. At our folk club, we downsized our PA system from a pair of 15's, mixing board etc. We bought the HK Nano 608i system with a 18 channel stage box style mixer with remote iPad control and use one condenser mic for our open mic sessions. For concerts, we will provide the artists and bands with dynamic mics, D.I.s or they can use their own condenser mics.

For my own personal use, I prefer the Sennheiser E945 dynamic mic and K&K pickups. I like to use a single Rode NT1 condenser mic when I can. But I find the circumstances often prevent that. Not sure if it's simply a matter of modern convention or convenience. Many of the places people play are too noisy for a condenser mic. That begs the question, "why play for them?" Alas, I am not a philosopher, just a schmuck who likes to sing and play his guitar.

As far as plugging in, I have a Bose S1 Pro with the wireless adapters. It sounds very good, especially on a short pole. I also recently splurged on a complete Bose L1 Pro8 / T8 system. It's the nicest system in terms of sound and features that I can comfortably carry at present. I'm using it for a string band. I have a LR Baggs VPDI for plugging into a house system for longer sets.

I don't really try to get perfect sound from my guitar when playing open mics. It doesn't typically work to my advantage when I bring pedals and such. I just accept what they have to offer and focus on the vocals as much as possible. The audience doesn't have an appreciation for the difference.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Beautiful song, vocals and guitar. Very soothing. I'd happily sit there and listen.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
My setup is in my signature. You can see how I use it live in my YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GEDG1QYfZs8U-T

When I play solo, I don't use the little monitor. I just move the LD Maui system behind me a bit. But with my partner, I need to use the monitor because he doesn't want to hear the main system mix. He has only his vocal in his monitor.
Great duo! Vocal harmony is well done.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Very nice!!!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification