The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2023, 08:32 AM

Default New Guitar Neck Angle

I'm not too experienced when it comes to this kind of stuff, so thought i'd get some opinions. I am trying to check the neck angle of my new guitar using a straight edge. I noticed the straight edge is hitting just below the top of the bridge, so I loosened the strings and and measured again. It's a little higher but still just hitting the very top of the bridge.

I'm just a bit curious to know if the neck angle is set correctly. I had watched videos on Youtube on the topic and it seemed their straight edge was hitting over the bride and just below the saddle. I was hoping someone explain if this is normal or if there's a problem with how the neck was set.

I set my action pretty low and there's no a lot of saddle left. I'm just concerned the guitar might be closer to a neck reset given how the neck is set. The neck is also set straight with little to no relief.

I left some images below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EGj...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIJ...ew?usp=sharing
Old 10-13-2023, 08:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosen91 View Post
I'm not too experienced when it comes to this kind of stuff, so thought i'd get some opinions. I am trying to check the neck angle of my new guitar using a straight edge. I noticed the straight edge is hitting just below the top of the bridge, so I loosened the strings and and measured again. It's a little higher but still just hitting the very top of the bridge.

I'm just a bit curious to know if the neck angle is set correctly. I had watched videos on Youtube on the topic and it seemed their straight edge was hitting over the bride and just below the saddle. I was hoping someone explain if this is normal or if there's a problem with how the neck was set.

I set my action pretty low and there's no a lot of saddle left. I'm just concerned the guitar might be closer to a neck reset given how the neck is set. The neck is also set straight with little to no relief.

I left some images below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EGj...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIJ...ew?usp=sharing
That appears to be about 1/8" of saddle protruding above the bridge, correct?

Way more than enough, especially if you've already lowered the action to where you want it to be.

A straight edge is suppose to hit the front of the bridge just below the top of the bridge, ON AVERAGE.

You have plenty of saddle left to drop the action even lower, but try to avoid comparing your guitar with others on the internet, especially when it comes to 'comparing numbers & specs', etc, etc.

Most of the people bragging about their close tolerances don't even play their guitars. They're only there trying to win the 'spec-wars'.

Time. Wasted.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 10-13-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Howard just explained it very well.

As usual, he's right!
Old 10-13-2023, 09:15 AM

Default New Guitar Neck Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
That appears to be about 1/8" of saddle protruding above the bridge, correct?

Way more than enough, especially if you've already lowered the action to where you want it to be.

A straight edge is suppose to hit the front of the bridge just below the top of the bridge, ON AVERAGE.

You have plenty of saddle left to drop the action even lower, but try to avoid comparing your guitar with others on the internet, especially when it comes to 'comparing numbers & specs', etc, etc.

Most of the people bragging about their close tolerances don't even play their guitars. They're only there trying to win the 'spec-wars'.

Time. Wasted.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Thanks for clearly that up for me, Howard. I really appreciate it. As I mention in my post, I am new to these types of things and still learning.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Looks like an FS5/FG5? Nice guitars. Just enjoy it.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I like to check string height just in front of the bridge ....

as the bridge thickness can vary......

3/8" , not very good
1/2" ideal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
neck angle