The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 PM

So far, there's only a prototype making the rounds. I haven't seen it yet but hope to get to play it in a couple weeks. As I understand it, Taylor isn't marketing it until it's in production. I have heard that Marty Haugen, who wrote the Holden Evening Prayer service, has it now and will make a video demo of it soon. When it comes here I'll try to make a recording of it and a standard GS Mini that we have. There will also be a special logo on it or inlaid but I don't think the design or location has been finalized yet. Here's a pic of the top:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The mini is laminate with a thin veneer of pretty wood on the outside. I would not expect the maple veneer to make one sound any different than any other veneer.
Hmm, my personal experiences show that laminate back and sides do have some tonal difference, though quite a lot less than solid wood. But anyway, I'm going to get this! Just need to ask Taylor Guitars about the shipping charges cause I live in Singapore.
Electric guitar: Fender Custom Deluxe Tele 2013/Fender JM Strat/Sugi Rainmaker> MXR CAE Wah> Whammy V> Polytune mini> Thrutone VP Jr> AM modded MXR '76 Dyna Comp> Skreddy LMMD> Keeley BD2> TS808HW> Kingsley Jester> Cusack TAW v3> Chrono Delay> DMMTT 1100> WET>Fender DRRI/Mesa Boogie Mark I Reissue
Old 11-16-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
So far, there's only a prototype making the rounds. I haven't seen it yet but hope to get to play it in a couple weeks. As I understand it, Taylor isn't marketing it until it's in production. I have heard that Marty Haugen, who wrote the Holden Evening Prayer service, has it now and will make a video demo of it soon. When it comes here I'll try to make a recording of it and a standard GS Mini that we have. There will also be a special logo on it or inlaid but I don't think the design or location has been finalized yet. Here's a pic of the top:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Man, I hope the runout is exceptional in that copy and not the norm...
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Runout doesn't bother me but it is the first thing I noticed in the fb pic...
Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
My thoughts persactly.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
So what is "runout" and why is it a negative thing?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 PM

The evidence of runout is usually seen in the top when one side looks darker than the other. It's usually caused by the board not running perfectly parallel to the centerline of the log. Some builders avoid it at all costs while others aren't worried about it, you'll see it in inexpensive and very expensive guitars. My understanding is that if it's really severe it may affect the strength and/or the stiffness of the top. For most of us it's just aesthetic...
Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 PM

I emailed Taylor about the availability and warranty of these and this is the response I just received:

"Good morning Tom. These guitars are in fact exclusively available through Holden Village; the warranty covers the original owner, for the life of the guitar, against factory defects.

Best regards."
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 PM

Default The Holden Village GS Mini

Hello All: Dave Olson here. I found the trees at Holden Village last year, but only got the ball rolling on a great project that has involved Steve McMinn and the team at Pacific Rim Tonewoods , the staff up at Holden Village (a wonderful place), the USFS, Rio Tinto (the folks actually doing the mine cleanup) and the visionary team at Taylor Guitars.
The trees were old growth Engelmann Spruce, a fine tonewood that is not typically used in GS Minis. The back and sides are an incredibly figured veneer from a single tree from Washington State. I'll try to get some photos up soon. The Holden Village website will have some sound samples up in a few days by the excellent guitarist Randal Bays.
I know that you tend to love your own kids the most, but to me this instrument sounds and looks spectacular
The cleanup at Holden Village is essentially a water remediation, meant to bring life back to an ecosystem badly damaged by mining. The proceeds from this project will go to water remediation projects in Central America, thru Living Waters for the world, and El Porvenir, and will bring clean water to a large number of people denied this basic need.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Thanks Dave!! Welcome to the forum!!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Hello - it looks like you are from Holden?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varve View Post
Hello - it looks like you are from Holden?
sending a pm
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Default I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Taylor is a pretty responsive company over all, so I had an idea.

As darylcrisp said..
"I love the look of this Mini...............oh how I wish they made them with a wider nut width."

and email4eric,
"As a Washingtonian, I'd be interested though the nut width on these has been a show-stopper for me."

I agree, so I sent an email to Taylor late last night asking ..."if there was any way to get a 1 3/4 nut width instead of the 1 11/16?"

I anticipate a prompt yet kindly "NO", but maybe if there was enough of us asking for it...?

I will letcha all know what they have to say.
I would definitely sign the wider nut petition...

Just reserved mine anyway though. You forgot to put a GAS inducing label on this. No fair...

Last edited by GangstaPat; 11-19-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM

I cannot believe that Taylor haven't seen the volumes of posts on this and other forums about nut width on the mini. I think it's been one of the most commented-on issue in GS mini threads...
Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Sure would be sweet if Taylor would do 1 3/4" nut design on this "one off" Mini.... At 1000 units it seems to me that it would be a good one ito use as a test subject. I have a feeling it would be an instant hit.
It would also make what is obviously a special little guitar much more appealling.

HINT HINT!!

><(((º>·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> ·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º>

Happily playing with Parkinson's since 2002!!

1968 Martin D12-35 Brazilian
1985 Gibson J45
1996 Martin, D28 Indian
1975 Gibson Gospel, Maple
2009 Martin 0000 M-21
2014 Taylor HV GS Mini
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion