The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2022, 10:38 AM

Most of us hear our guitar with our eyes. Often it is what is on the headstock that affects the tone the most.
The next thing that affects tone is the wood choices, my eye likes the sound of rosewood best.
The appointments have to affect the tone as well. Black binding is a deal killer, no matter what the rest of the guitar sounds like. Maple binding sounds better to my eyes.
Different guitars do sound different, but if you don't look good playing it, what is the use?
Old 05-30-2022, 12:42 PM

Martin OM-42 vs Custom Shop OM-28 Reality check: Does Abalone affect tone?

Maybe, but the fact that there are so many fine-sounding guitars out there with abalone inlays makes it a non-issue for me in that sense. I place it in the same category as Brazilian vs East Indian Rosewood. I have failed every blind sound test that I have participated in.

More of an issue for me now is; what am I paying for, now? In the past, high-quality inlaying was a time-consuming process. Now with modern advances in manufacturing and at times photo-imaging, it doesn't have the same level of prestige it once had. I have seen abalone perimeter inlays on some low-cost foreign guitars that were paper-thin; only exposed to view due to damage or during a neck reset. Seems that every other kid on the block has a blinged-out guitar now.

Also, you might think that the smaller high-end boutique luthiers would still embrace the old-school art as a matter of prestige, but I have not found that to be true in every case.

Tommy
Old 05-31-2022, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmurf View Post
Well, the aforementioned zombie apocalypse has kept me from doing the guitar tour, but I continue to consider these things. Allow me to resurrect this thread by posing a slightly different angle… I have read that the abalone inlay around the body of the guitar, such as the OM-42, improves the sound… something about the hardness causing the soundboard to decouple from the sides. I am still contemplating a custom shop build (OM35 now) and think that might be a great enhancement as long as it wasn’t just jewelry. I would love to hear what you folks have experienced along this line… Martin puts it at a $500 upcharge, a little too dear just to look cool, but maybe sonically worth it. Thoughts?
The answer is a solid 'Maybe. Possibly. You'll NEVER know.'

Because each guitar really is its own thing and no two are alike. But also because I believe the 45 series ALSO adds higher grade tops over the 28. I may be wrong there, but I believe the highest level factory Martin is more than just added bling, so by adding bling to a lower line or removing bling from a 45, I'm not convinced you get apples to apples.

And TO BE SURE, 'lower line' is still a mighty fine guitar. The 21 series is plenty proof of that.

My recommendation is to step a few steps back from the over obsession we're all prone to here on AGF. I am guilty of which I speak.

At the end of the day, Martin makes a fine guitar and has for a long time, they have a sound, a heritage, a work quality that is generally predictable. So do the small factories in that same price range. You will certainly end up with a great guitar, but for that money, I'd do everything I can to get my hands on it before parting with money. A/B/C it with other guitars in the shop. Play them each 6 or 7 times, rotating through. Walk away with the one that makes you smile most and is most comfortable to play.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 05-31-2022, 10:51 AM

Abalone DOES affect tone...

Makes you feel better and fancy, so you play better and fancy
Old 05-31-2022, 11:05 AM

I had the opportunity to ask Bill Collings the OP's question.

He looked at me like I was the village idiot and replied, "Of course it does! EVERYTHING affects tone!"

That's good enough for me.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:59 PM

Everything affects tone......

In commissioning one of my guitars, one of the luthiers asked me a question no other luthier has ever asked me. I play for the most part sitting down and he wanted to know if I lean on the guitar, press it up against my chest, slouch on the guitar, etc. I reluctantly said yes to all of the above. Yeah, I'm a sloucher. He told me that many guitar players choke the tone out of their guitar by doing so. He thought I would benefit from a smaller and shallower bodied guitar than the model that I was looking at. He was right.

Tommy
Old 06-01-2022, 07:16 AM

....as all the 42 series owners smile and nod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion