The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2019, 02:17 PM

Default how would you describe Alvarez yairi tone?

I really like the way they look and feel but I'm having trouble
Finding one with a warmer tone
Dave
Old 11-04-2019, 04:10 PM

I would describe the tone as decent.

I know there are people who swear by them and I'm definitely no expert but I've probably played 40-50 of them and have never heard one I loved. I don't think I've ever heard one that was really bad though. A roommate I had in my younger days had one that was always lying around the living room and I played it on the couch almost every day for probably 5 years. It certainly wasn't bad and made an excellent beater for the living room but I never loved the sound and certainly haven't missed it.

When they come in the shop they rarely need a lot of work and are well built guitars.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:51 PM

The one that I owned was lacking a bottom end. It was a delicate finger style guitar.
I play with a pick and own a Martin D-35 which is renowned for it's bass.
The Yari just didn't fit my style and I sold it.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM

1981 DY-46 S/M

Strong and clear in the trebles and mids, the bass isn't bad, just not the star.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:31 PM

The two I have owned (both dreads) had a tone on the drier end of the spectrum. They were both from the 70’s, so that may have a lot to do with it. They both were straight braced, so I would agree about them having less bass as compared to a scalloped dread. I still have one, and it is my practical stage guitar. By “practical” I mean it stays in tune, intonates well, and has an extremely comfortable neck carve. I think the fact that it’s not too boomy also helps fight feedback.

Drew
Old 11-04-2019, 05:53 PM

Don't buy a guitar you don't know because you "like the way they look". That's a sure recipe for disaster. Get one you love to play.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:55 PM

You really can't judge guitars for you by the brand alone. I own two Yairis in addition to a D35, three Taylors and a MIJ Epiphone. The DY77 is a copy of a Martin D28. It has a soft V neck which is a bit thicker than a C profile. Sounds very much like a D28. My DY71 is a round shouldered dread with cedar over koa and is warm and full. The neck has a slim C neck, much like my 1995 Taylor 910.

I was able to find pictures of the DY71 but could only find one of the 77 (had a HD crash and trying to recover images). But you can see how the body shapes differ significantly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back_2352_sm.jpg (141.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg front_2346.jpg (38.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 105735-fbdb49c54bc95bc282ada573a8236358.jpg (21.7 KB, 58 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 PM

I have a GY1.
If it has Phosphor Bronze strings on it, the bass is pretty solid.
My Masterworks was about the warmest thing I’d ever played...till I got the Yairi.
I have a friend that has a Martin. He mentioned that my guitar had the brighter tone.
But it’s currently wearing a set of 80/20’s.

But I have a Cedar topped topped Takamine it is a very warm sounding guitar.
I expected it to be the warmest guitar in the guitarsenal with the cedar top an all.
It isn’t.
The Yairi is.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion