The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
They seem to be well made, pretty expensive, big honkin’ Moody’s logo (don’t really like that). Some people swear by them. Any other brands for simple, leather straps? I’m not really into patterns, stars, tooling, lightening bolts, etc.
Hi dilver…
For me it's a functional choice. Audiences don't care, but I do. I want a strap to stay put, not weigh down pressure points or shift, and be soft enough to remain comfortable for a 90 minute rehearsal.

All my electric and bass guitars wear individual leather straps with locking strap pins installed. None of the straps cost me over $30. In fact one was listed as $25 with an added 5% off coupon. It's on my bass and works great.

I spent more on the Schaller locking strap pins ($29 USD) than for the straps.

They are all quite comfortable.

And on my acoustics I use a 4" wide cloth - multi-layer padded with padding sewn in - strap with a double padded section over the shoulder. I used to buy them back in the 80s at a local guitar shop for $20 (a lot in the 80s) and they since have been discontinued. These have lasted over 30 years, and I swap them between my acoustics.

They are far more comfortable than any leather strap I've worn, because they keep pressure off that little bone on my left shoulder that sticks up and gets irritated by straps weighing down and moving around.

Two of my acoustic guitars weigh more than my Strat or Tele. So the soft double thick strap with the extra-padding over the shoulder were worth it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-27-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:30 PM

Leathercraft is a hobby of mine. I haven’t made a strap yet… mostly because I haven’t worked up a pattern yet and I hand stitch everything which would be a few hours on a strap. I’ll have to check out a few makers and choose some good Italian vegetable tanned leather and get one put together. I do have a few very large alligator skins that could work for a strap with the right lining layer.

Last edited by fantex; 03-27-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I like a wide strap. If it's leather, I want it to be soft leather so there's no chance of it digging into my neck or shoulder. Moody's straps look to fit the bill but I prefer Italia Straps. They have 2.5" and 4" versions available, the leather feels great, and they run 2-for-1 sales sometimes which brings the price down to about a third of the Moody strap.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-27-2024, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I love Moody's straps. I think I have 4 of them. They're just very well made and as a result are my favorite. I very much dislike stiff straps. The moody ones are all really flexible (as much as a thicker strap can be). All of mine are the electric 2.5" straps I don't own any of the sheepskin acoustic straps. When you get one in hand you'll see what I mean, but Levy's and a lot of other cheaper brands are decent for the money but no contest to a Moody's. Disclaimer I've never paid full price for any of my Moody's. Every year after NAMM they list show floor demo models for $100.

For simple acoustic straps it's hard to beat a Lakota.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:15 AM

My favorite is from Long Hollow Leather - softy, 3" - but unfortunately I just looked up their site and they are permanently closed after the death of their founder.

I have a Walker and Williams, which is a very nice strap for the money, but is a little thick where it connects to the guitar. A Lakota is on my wish list.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-28-2024, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Smile Way to go, Silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I made my own, and have a few spare. Due to a damaged left shoulder I made most with 3" wide leather.
I love Silly’s concept.

A single piece of soft leather cut to the exact length YOU prefer. Nothing to bonk the guitar, so you can leave the strap in place and just slip it in the case.

Brilliant, Sir

I also swear by Strap-Jacks. But beware they will drain a battery if your guitar has one. Most of Mine do NOT.

Cheers

Paul

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 03-28-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:48 AM

I have a couple of Levy's leather straps. Comfortable enough to handle my 9 lb., 3 oz. Les Paul.

Looks like Levy's is having a sale.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:45 PM

On a similar topic - I'm curious as to what strap locks people use or recommend, if you use them.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLaFortune View Post
On a similar topic - I'm curious as to what strap locks people use or recommend, if you use them.
I use Schaller strap locking hardware. I used the original hardware for decades, then Schaller’s patent on it ran out, so they redesigned their system. I have a couple of the new ones. They’re compatible with the originals, so everything works out.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-29-2024, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Default try these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
They seem to be well made, pretty expensive, big honkin’ Moody’s logo (don’t really like that). Some people swear by them. Any other brands for simple, leather straps? I’m not really into patterns, stars, tooling, lightening bolts, etc.
I like Couch guitar straps...they are recycled from old car seat material and seat belt straps...but my favorite by a mile is Action Straps..I own 7 or so of their straps...you can custom order a "gaudy" one...or just buy one of their classic plain straps....and if they are good enough for Keith Urban and Jimmy Buffett....
https://actioncustomstraps.com

Last edited by $ongWriter; 03-29-2024 at 08:23 AM. Reason: wow
Old 03-29-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I love Silly’s concept.

A single piece of soft leather cut to the exact length YOU prefer. Nothing to bonk the guitar, so you can leave the strap in place and just slip it in the case.

Brilliant, Sir

I also swear by Strap-Jacks. But beware they will drain a battery if your guitar has one. Most of Mine do NOT.

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Sully's are really well made and he's a great guy but I think I've come to realize I don't like straps where there's a long skinny piece of leather that weaves between a wider pad for your shoulder. I know he occasionally does other ones that are a single piece but I've not tried those. Plus I like a strap that I can adjust for different guitars if necessary or if I just feel like it's too high or too low after a time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion