The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-09-2024, 07:32 PM

Unhappy 5000 euro: which present?

hi guys, I've reached an important professional goal and my family has offered me a custom guitar as a gift. Budget is around 5k.

I'm very undecided about the choice, over the course of my life I've played a lot of stuff but I don't have a guitar that I prefer or that I'm in love with.
What I can tell you is that I hate cutaways, that I want rich bass and a sound that I fall in love with while playing blues.

My first thought was a Taylor Custom Shop, with a Lutz top and Koa back/sides. It should come around 5400 euro. I'm actually in negotiations for this guitar, I'm waiting to see the koa that Taylor offers me.

Other guitars that I particularly like are a brand new Gibson J45 M2M Custom Shop, whose only customization is an Adirondack top. Costs 3800 euro. For the same price: an used Gibson Custom Historic 1942 Banner J45.

I am very sure that the custom Taylor, if I will buy it, would be a guitar that would captivate me BUT I have to admit that part of me tells me that with 5k budget I could get a better guitar from smaller and better builders.

I found a Bourgeois 00 Standard with sitka top and indian rosewood back/sides for 3500 euro.

Collings is a brand that inspires me a lot, especially their CJ model, but it's out of budget, even when used (almost 7k used). The only one within reach is an used Collings C10 for 4100 euro.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Pizzanetor; 04-09-2024 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Are you in a hurry?

If not, I’d wait for the right used Collings. They are definitely available for unde $5500/5000E.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2024, 12:34 AM

Nonono...not taylor custom. Taylor is a good company but with 5000 euro,i wont go for taylor for sure. As you are in euro,how about lowden? Collings are good as well. Other option is tell your family to save the money for you for a while,try differeny guitars,incuding luthiers builds and save for a higher budget and get your best!
Old 04-10-2024, 07:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydlamme123 View Post
Nonono...not taylor custom. Taylor is a good company but with 5000 euro,i wont go for taylor for sure. As you are in euro,how about lowden? Collings are good as well. Other option is tell your family to save the money for you for a while,try differeny guitars,incuding luthiers builds and save for a higher budget and get your best!
I have to agree, I love Taylor instruments especially for adapting features that make their guitars repairable and future-proof. But I would suggest looking at luthier built instruments. For that money you can get yourself an one of a kind guitar tailored to your exact needs.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I would highly recommend the C10.
They are superb. Taylor’s are wonderful, I think Collings is a head above them.
Bourgeois are also really well regarded, I have only played one or two of them.
The Gibsons are also great, but the tone of a gibson is very different from the Collings or Taylor.
Fun problem to solve!
Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 AM

I love playing blues and jazz.
I really like bass-rich sounds.

I like to do all the techniques: strumming, fingerstyle, etc, so an "everything guitar" would be top.

I mostly play alone on the couch, but I also have a duet with a friend who sings while I play.

Near my house I have a big Taylor-Martin-Gibson dealer.
I've tried pretty much every top-end guitar you can imagine from those brands and none of them impressed me like a thunder, like a PRS electric did (and no, I don't prefer electrics to acoustics, but vice versa!).
Simply, so far no acoustic guitar has "captivated" me.

Of all the guitars I've seen so far, the ones I've enjoyed playing the most are:
- a Taylor 717 Builder's edition similar to the one below
- a Gibson J45 with an adirondack top, similar to the one below.

Also, ad I said in my OP, I found a Collings C10 for 4100€, but never tried before that model.

[MEDIA=youtube]YRg1MXkhsTs[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=youtube]jVhIa7dU1-Q[/MEDIA]
Old 04-10-2024, 09:16 AM

Northwood, Brook & Mcilroy might be worth a inquiry. I can attest that John’s Northwood guitars are a great value and he is fantastic to work with. The old shoreline music site has some good sound samples for all three makers.

I’m also having a lot of fun with my current Two Birds build.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Hi, my best advice to you is to avoid a rushed purchase.

Take your time, and try what you can. In my experience, buying from TFOA is a very good option, but, again, don't rush things. Wait until you know what you want and if it souts your hands and ears!

to add Youtube videos, you need to click on the YT icon and then insert the numbers and letters in between the "/" and "/" Only.

Ciao, il mio miglior consiglio č di evitare un acquisto affrettato.

Prenditi il ​​tuo tempo e prova quello che puoi. Nella mia esperienza, acquistare da TFOA č un'ottima opzione, ma, ancora una volta, non affrettare le cose. Aspetta di sapere cosa vuoi e se ti fa male alle mani e alle orecchie!

per aggiungere video di Youtube, devi fare clic sull'icona YT e quindi inserire i numeri e le lettere solo tra "/" e "/".

and

Old 04-10-2024, 12:33 PM

You can get a guitar custom built to your own specifications for that kind of budget...
Old 04-10-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Mac View Post
You can get a guitar custom built to your own specifications for that kind of budget...
what do you mean? The custom taylor is custom
Old 04-10-2024, 07:05 PM

As a side note; they’re a couple nice looking Collings C10s in the classifieds in your price range.

Last edited by JL_Guitar; 04-10-2024 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzanetor View Post
I mean where you sit down with a luthier and discuss exactly what you want from a guitar. This means tone, responsiveness, scale length, neck width, body depth, fret material, rosette design, binding colour, arm rests, cutaways, soundholes, and (as you mentioned regarding the Taylor) wood choices for the top and sides.

But if all you do is choose the tonewoods, that's just picking from a menu. It's not really customisation.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Smile And….

Quote:
I mean where you sit down with a luthier and discuss exactly what you want from a guitar. This means tone, responsiveness, scale length, neck width, body depth, fret material, rosette design, binding colour, arm rests, cutaways, soundholes, and (as you mentioned regarding the Taylor) wood choices for the top and sides.

But if all you do is choose the tonewoods, that's just picking from a menu. It's not really customisation.
This is so true. Add neck carve/shape, side soundport, and bevels, as well. IMO, ergonomics and TONE are way more important than pretty looks, though I appreciate looks as well.

And, I will not buy another custom without a Manzer Wedge! The increased comfort is remarkable. Allows a bigger guitar to be even more comfortable than a smaller one.

I suggest spending more quality time here in the Custom Shop area here on AGF before you decide!

Do a deep dive and Check out what some fantastic builders are doing. You will get a LOT of ideas for your build.

Save up just a bit more, and get something you can’t order from a factory.

Like this. Coming next week from John Kinnard: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=673649

My two cents

Hope it helps

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 04-11-2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:02 AM

Quote:
I mean where you sit down with a luthier and discuss exactly what you want from a guitar. ...
Yep. With that kind of money, I'd go and meet a luthier in person and get him or her to build something to my preferences.

I'm lucky enough to live near enough to a number of luthiers, to meet without too much travel and trouble. But I'm at the opposite end of Europe from Italy. I'm certain that there are great luthiers in Italy or nearby, who can build a guitar for you on your budget.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-17-2024, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzanetor View Post
By a luthier with a small custom shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop