The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Philo,

I did exactly what you did when putting on a set of D'Addario EJ16 strings some time ago and mixed up the G and D strings, thinking I could see the difference without following the color code on the package. I had been doing this for years, but one time I made a mistake. Trying to get the D string tuned up to the G note resulted in my breaking the string as I pushed it too far while tuning it. I felt really stupid, but I learned a lesson. The break was so loud! Like being next to a magnum .22 bullet going off.

- Glenn
+1 ditto...i did the exactly the same last March!...i could not identify the caliber of weapon it sounded like at the time but I believe you nailed it!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
I get what you're saying, but why would anyone want to go through all that? Especially an intimidated newbie who's nervous and insecure enough already.
Go through all of what? It's not a big deal. I like Martin SP strings and that's the way they're packaged. I used to not like the way D'Addarios are packaged, with all the strings in one bag ... but then I started just laying them out in order and it was no longer an issue.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybanjo View Post
Try changing a 12string and be a Lefty also. Yes the ball ends are reversed for Lefties
I'm a lefty ... and I have a few 12-strings ... I even have a lefty 12-string. They're lots of fun.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM

To each his own ... just seems like if it takes a detailed set of instructions to describe the technique for keeping the strings straight during the re-stringing process, then it's unnecessarily complicated. To me Martin packaging is illogical. But that's just my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
Go through all of what? It's not a big deal. I like Martin SP strings and that's the way they're packaged. I used to not like the way D'Addarios are packaged, with all the strings in one bag ... but then I started just laying them out in order and it was no longer an issue.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Detailed set of instructions? It was a total of 3 simple sentences and none of the steps is complicated.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM

We're obviously on different wave lengths. No problem. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
Detailed set of instructions? It was a total of 3 simple sentences and none of the steps is complicated.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion