The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Default What am I looking at here?

Just wondering what the best fix is for this? I will be taking it in to a luthier, but before doing that I'd like to get an idea - if anyone knows the proper way to fix this, then I can ask the luthier about it. Does the neck need unbolting to readjust?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM

" What am I looking at here?"

It's a protrusion.

Do the strings align equally along the fingerboard on both sides ?
If so it is simply a 'design feature'
Old 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM

I cant tell what you're referring to.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

What fix? There is no problem.

If you think it's suppose to be 'flush', you're mistaken. With the engineering tolerances that Taylors are made to, there is no way, even with bolts totally loosened, that you could move the neck joint sideways one iota.

Yes, there are builders who don't have the little step, but it is completely intended on the Taylors.

If they made it any closer, it would look like a mistake, and if they tried to make it totally flush it would take too much time, and any tiny little lip would get complaints as if it were a 'defect'.

HE
Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
I cant tell what you're referring to.
The fretboard is separated from the body. As in, there is a crevasse... Kind of like this:

Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
The fretboard is separated from the body. As in, there is a crevasse... Kind of like this:
The neck is not glued to the body. It is a separate piece.

A good picture would be worth a thousand words
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
What fix? There is no problem.

If you think it's suppose to be 'flush', you're mistaken. With the engineering tolerances that Taylors are made to, there is no way, even with bolts totally loosened, that you could move the neck joint sideways one iota.

Yes, there are builders who don't have the little step, but it is completely intended on the Taylors.

If they made it any closer, it would look like a mistake, and if they tried to make it totally flush it would take too much time, and any tiny little lip would get complaints as if it were a 'defect'.

HE
Can you elaborate what you mean by 'flush'? Thanks. So are you saying there's supposed to be a little gap there? I've never noticed it before.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
The neck is not glued to the body. It is a separate piece.

A good picture would be worth a thousand words
If my photography skills could do it, it would show a gap that I can slide a piece of A4 paper between. I have no idea how to take a photo that would make it show up.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
If my photography skills could do it, it would show a gap that I can slide a piece of A4 paper between. I have no idea how to take a photo that would make it show up.
Try a picture with the paper inserted. Should show up better.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Try a picture with the paper inserted. Should show up better.
Good idea! Here's a pic:

Last edited by Black Beauty; 10-07-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Resizing pic.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM

I do see exactly the area you mean. The Taylor 815ce..also a Florentine cut away I owned...was totally flush in that area where the fret board meets the Florentine area. Mine however was adjusted and when returned, I could see the flushness had shifted near the rear heel with the tiniest of gaps where they had removed the neck, shimmed it, and then rein-stalled the neck. But that may not mean there is necessarily something wrong with yours Taylor. The neck however, being a bolt on, could have been installed slightly off shift, or it could indicate that if the guitar were bought used, perhaps someone may have had the neck adjusted via the bolt on, and did not re-install it in a flush manner. The shift your picture shows does seem to indicate the possibility that the neck was possibly aligned slightly off upon installation. When the bolt is removed the neck can be shifted front or back, and to a lesser degree, side to side. Therefore proper and specific alignment must be made of the neck to the body before the tech re-tightens the bolt fixture. None the less it may be normal. Taylor is very good about phone calls and has someone there who listens and to advise you. Here is the toll free Taylor customer service number. 1 800 943 6782 and here is the web site from which it came. Good luck. http://www.taylorguitars.com/contact one further comment. Taylor will need to be notified of any change your luthier makes, and sometimes they may need to be approved by Taylor for warranty purposes. In my case Guitar Center called Taylor directly and explained to them what was wrong, and how it should be fixed. Taylor also required my consent and signature to let GC fix it before warranty was covered. Mine was covered if full for the neck re-set. More than likely yours would be also if bought new.

Last edited by GuitarLight; 10-07-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added information
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM

Sorry guys can you please explain what flush means to me? Thanks very much for your detailed response. I will print it out and take it to the luthier. We do not have direct access to Taylor here in NZ, I bought mine new from the US.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry guys can you please explain what flush means to me?
Flush means that the fingerboard is the same width as the cutaway. Then you would be able to slide your hand right up the side of the fingerboard into the cutaway area without encountering the little protrusion.

Cheers
Rod
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Put a sticker over it
Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 PM
phmike

That gap may appear or disappear depending on the humidity. Wood swells and shrinks causing small gaps, fret ends to stick out a bit, truss rod to need adjusting, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion