The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 AM

Default If you use a pick

Do you have one with you at ALL times lol I know I do, my wife finds them in washer and dryer. We work with plastics at work ( we fabricate artificial limbs and braces for the body) I have made some really cool ones! Next up making leather straps
Froggy Bottom H12
Martin 1972 D-35
Taylor 2015 All Koa 314ce
Taylor 2011 12 Fret GCe Fall LTD
Taylor GS mini hog,Koa,Holden,Walnut
Taylor New 810 e 1st Edition
Taylor 914 Dave Matthews Model
Martin 0042SC John Mayer:guitar
Martin CS OOO41-15
Old 04-30-2014, 05:15 AM

I buy some picks in bulk with a custom design applied. I always have some with me, almost like a calling card.

Tip for young, single players. Carry picks in your change pocket and people of the opposite sex will see them when you pay for something and will very often remark or ask about them. Great way to chat up the girls/boys. Sadly, I discovered this at a time when it does me little good but may help our younger generation of players.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 AM

Wegen BG140. If not that, some generic Dunlop pick, like a Nylon, Delrin, Gator Grip or Tortex.
I used to use the Wegen TF120 a lot on acoustic also, but that one moved to mandolin.

I hope to swap both for Blue Chip picks at some point.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 AM

I don't, but my guitars do.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Almost always have a pick or two in the change pocket of my jeans.

Have a couple picks and an extra car key and motorcycle key in the change pocket of my wallet.

Never leave home without it.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM

I only use a few select picks (buffalo horn, V-Pick, reshaped quarter) so, well, no they stay with my guitar.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddywac View Post
Do you have one with you at ALL times lol I know I do, my wife finds them in washer and dryer. We work with plastics at work ( we fabricate artificial limbs and braces for the body) I have made some really cool ones! Next up making leather straps
I think she may not tolerate the leather straps in the washer....
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Almost always have a pick or two in the change pocket of my jeans.
Me too - and I switched to using fingers a few years back - for electric and acoustic. I've no reason to carry one. Still, old habits and all that ...

I work as a keyboard/piano player - having a spare plectrum has helped out a few colleagues on occasion.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM

i generally have 3 or 4 in my front pocket dunlop or generic picks and thicknesses in case i drop mine or someone needs one...my main go to pick is a bluechip tp35 i keep in a small resealable bag in my billfold and i also carry a spare blue chip tp35 in the neck box of my d18 case........
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 AM

I always have a few with me.

Last edited by Fodder1; 04-30-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Tip for young, single players. Carry picks in your change pocket and people of the opposite sex will see them when you pay for something and will very often remark or ask about them. Great way to chat up the girls/boys. Sadly, I discovered this at a time when it does me little good but may help our younger generation of players.
Fortunately, I discovered this exact same thing back when I was still a bachelor, and, yes, it's a conversation starter. Still is, even though I've been married a long time and intend to stay that way.

An interesting side note on that - I've noticed that foreigners, immigrants from other countries who've come to the United States and have jobs working cash registers will often be especially intrigued. It's as though having some flatpicks in my pockets humanizes me for them, somehow. I've had some interesting, insightful conversations as a result, on those occasions when I've had the time to stay for a moment and visit with them.

Which I think is kind of cool.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
...even though I've been married a long time and intend to stay that way...
Complete diversion, but since we're always trying to educate one another, I thought it might be helpful to point out the following. If you ever say the first part of that sentence, be certain that you follow it quickly and cheerfully with the second part.

Back to picks, yes. Knife, Chapstick, and guitar pick - always. I don't even wear sweatpants around the house because I can't bear not having those things immediately accessible.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Default If you use a pick

Yes. I have a pick with my newborn son's name engraved on it. The pick is in a pouch attached to my key chain that is with me almost all the time.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM

I always have one in my wallet and usually one in my pocket. I had the same purple Tortex in my wallet for about 10 years back when I used them exclusively. lol
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM

I have what I call my "emergency pick". I punched a hole through the center of one of the cheap picks I usually use, and added it to all the other junk on my keychain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion