The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 PM

Default Tama acoustic

I Purchased a fantastic Tama TG-160 acoustic recently, solid Jacaranda and fine grain spruce top. It is such a great guitar. Does anyone else have this model? I would love to hear from anyone, I live in the UK and I've never seen this model for sale anywhere. Very lucky to have this guitar.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Someone just gave my friend a Tama D35 clone. I don't know the model number but it's a very nice guitar. I'd never heard of these before, but if you didn't look at the headstock you'd swear you were playing a Martin. I believe it might have laminated back and sides but it sounds extremely good. I think the model you have was the top of their line, so I'm sure it's a great guitar. Congratulations!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 AM

You are extremely lucky! Tama was in business for a few short years,but had the finest stash of quality woods and expert luthiers in Japan.....in the 1970's.

They eventually got taken over by Ibanez,who kept the work force for a few more years and sold similar quality instruments under the Ibanez Artwood series(not to be confused with the new Artwood guitars.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM

Default Tama Acoustic

Thanks, I feel very lucky to have this top of the line model. It took me around 100 emails to get it, then it got lost in the Swedish post!

I have played this model (TG-160) alongside my friends Martins and we can all agree that you cannot tell its not a Martin. It was the last all solid Jacaranda model made.

Would be nice to hear from anyone who has any of the Tama models.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:02 PM

Wow congrats, I think these are very hard to find and were supposedly outstanding when they were new. Would love to find a TG190 myself. Please post pics and review.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:34 PM

When they were released in the early-70's Tama was arguably the creme-de-la-creme of the MIJ imports - a title IMO shared with the top of the Takamine lineup - and represented a real alternative to the junk being pumped out by the "big G" and "big M" companies at the time (at 1/5 to 1/4 the price); small wonder these instruments (along with their electric counterparts) became the subject of legal action...
Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Wow congrats, I think these are very hard to find and were supposedly outstanding when they were new. Would love to find a TG190 myself. Please post pics and review.

I've never posted pics before so hope this works!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post

I've never posted pics before so hope this works!https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...6943&source=48
Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Nice looking guitar!!!!!

Snark Tuner
Old 04-16-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Nice looking guitar!!!!!
Thanks, I can't get enough!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion