The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2022, 11:49 PM

Default Buzz after string change

Changed my strings the other day and immediately noticed a significant buzz on the G string, and a slight buzz on D and B. Hasn’t gone away. Anyone have any theories? If it’s relevant, new strings are Elixir 80/20
Old 02-25-2022, 12:39 AM

Did you change the brand and/or gauge of the strings?
Old 02-25-2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtotheJ View Post
Did you change the brand and/or gauge of the strings?
I’m not sure- it’s a new-to-me guitar so I don’t know what was on there before other than that it was phosphor bronze before. If I had to guess, I’d say it was a thicker gauge beforehand. Would a change in string gauge really cause buzzing like that?

Last edited by AidenCook; 02-25-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenCook View Post
I’m not sure- it’s a new-to-me guitar so I don’t know what was on there before other than that it was phosphor bronze before.
My first guess is that the gauge is different than the previous strings. It should just need a slight truss rod adjustment.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:00 AM

The change in tension effects the neck..nothing severe but it's always a good idea to get a setup when changing gauges. That's what I would recommend! Good luck!
Old 02-25-2022, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Changed my strings the other day and immediately noticed a significant buzz on the G string, and a slight buzz on D and B. Hasn’t gone away. Anyone have any theories? If it’s relevant, new strings are Elixir 80/20
First steps - where is it buzzing? Open strings? Fretted? If it’s when fretted, which frets? Have you measured the neck relief? If yes, what is the number? What is your 12th-fret action?

Answers to those questions may lead to the best solution.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-25-2022, 01:54 AM

That just happen to me with my go to guitar. The buzz was coming from the bridge on the G. Odd. But it is what it is. Hopefully an easy fix like a pin or a bad string. I don't plan a rebuild just something going on between the nut and the bridge. She will get right. In a simple way I hope.
You too I hope.

Last edited by Jobe; 02-25-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m not sure- it’s a new-to-me guitar so I don’t know what was on there before other than that it was phosphor bronze before. If I had to guess, I’d say it was a thicker gauge beforehand. Would a change in string gauge really cause buzzing like that?
Yes. Your new strings may have a lighter core wire, if they are the same gauge as the old, or could be a thinner gauge overall. Either way, two things will happen. Firstly there will be slightly less pressure pulling the neck up into a very slight bow - your neck will be fractionally straighter than it was before - this can cause buzzing. Secondly, the strings themselves will have a different vibration pattern than the old set, and this in itself can cause buzzing.

We measure neck relief (the amount of bow in the neck) in thousands of an inch, usually with feeler gauges. the drill is to capo at the first fret, hold down one of the middle strings at the 14th fret, and use feeler gauges between that string and the 7th fret. Most players will go for something around 0.006" to 0.008" - but some players like less and some more. It is a tiny difference between "sweet" and "buzz". And a lot will depend on your playing style too (hence different players liking different amounts of relief).

Without you guitar in my hands I cannot be sure but I expect that all your guitar needs is a quarter turn anticlockwise on your truss rod. If it was playing OK before with the old strings and not playing OK now with the new strings then the relief is the most likely cause.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:36 AM

Is the buzz on open strings or when fretting a note? If it is an open string buzz it is more than likely not the truss rod.

I had the same problem. Changed strings and started hearing a buzz a short time later. The buzz was on an open string. The tech who looked at it didn't listen and started messing with the truss rod. Didn't charge me so I wasn't out anything.

Put on a heavier gage string. went from light to medium light. The buzz went away for about 54 or 5 weeks then came back on a different string.

Took it back to the shop and this time the owner looked at it. Told him I thought it was the saddle. He took a look and said it was worn.

He told me before we spend the money to replace it he wanted to try something. He placed a shim under the saddle to increase the break angle of the string. Then he worked with the truss rod. The guitar plays great at moment. But at some point I will need a new saddle.

Didn't charge me anything for this one either. Only took about 15 minutes.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-25-2022, 02:56 PM

Finer gauge strings could sit lower in the nut slots. A capo at the first fret and another strum would be a quick way to eliminate that from your possible diagnoses.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:01 PM

Robin, great post. I suspect you are correct based on the information the OP posted - hopefully the OP will post more information based on other questions posed in this thread.

BTW, I listed to your Elzic's Farewell tune in your signature again just now. What a fantastic tune and you did a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Yes. Your new strings may have a lighter core wire, if they are the same gauge as the old, or could be a thinner gauge overall. Either way, two things will happen. Firstly there will be slightly less pressure pulling the neck up into a very slight bow - your neck will be fractionally straighter than it was before - this can cause buzzing. Secondly, the strings themselves will have a different vibration pattern than the old set, and this in itself can cause buzzing.

We measure neck relief (the amount of bow in the neck) in thousands of an inch, usually with feeler gauges. the drill is to capo at the first fret, hold down one of the middle strings at the 14th fret, and use feeler gauges between that string and the 7th fret. Most players will go for something around 0.006" to 0.008" - but some players like less and some more. It is a tiny difference between "sweet" and "buzz". And a lot will depend on your playing style too (hence different players liking different amounts of relief).

Without you guitar in my hands I cannot be sure but I expect that all your guitar needs is a quarter turn anticlockwise on your truss rod. If it was playing OK before with the old strings and not playing OK now with the new strings then the relief is the most likely cause.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

My D 35 came to me with .013s which I changed to .012s. Buzzed all over the place. Decided they also sucked tone, so I decided to man up.

My relief was at a great for action .004, so it really is pretty easy to play.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
buzz, buzzing, change, string