The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 AM

This is indeed a Golden Era for guitars, way more good reasonably priced instruments than 20 years ago, and yes guitars built all over the planet.

I have yet to play an import that, to my ears, equals a higher end Martin/Bourgeois/Santa Cruz/Collings but, to be fair, they would probably have to cost a lot more just as these guitar do. And it may be true as Wade said that the true high end Asian guitars "stay at home".

The bottom line is there now are many good choices, play what your ears like and pockets can afford, and don't worry if the other guy/gal likes something else.

Hyundai was not very well respected when they first came out, now they have earned market acceptance and moved up the food chain, they proved themselves. That doens't mean that folks who buy Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Jaguar are wasting their money. Different strokes....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjar View Post
I have owned 3 Blueridges and still own 2. Amazing guitars not for the price, but for twice or thrice the price.[/QUOTE]
Although I agree with the highlighted part, I don't think the Chinese guitars need a qualifier any more than any other type of guitar. Assembly line guitars are assembly line guitars, whether built in China or Pennsylvania or Mexico. I agree on different strokes.

Last edited by 1cubilindo; 06-06-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Last edited by rosewoodsteel; 06-07-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
you would have saved yourself a ton of money had you just got your Johnson JD26 earlier.............

I thought you were gonna say "by switching to GEICO".
Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 AM

I've read in history books about when the world was big enough to support nationalistic policies. The world has shrunk since then. We (insert nationality) better learn to live in the real world... and be prepared to back up our choices with our dwindling dollars.

I think guitars are a pretty insignificant part of our economy. For the people who are making harsh judgements about the country of origin of guitars ought to consider where more significant and repetitive portions of their dollars are going. Like food, cars, electronics, etc.

Hopefully that isn't too political.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
In terms of foreign-made musical instruments at my house, the champion nation by far is Canada - I just counted up and I've got six Canadian-made instruments here....How come we never hear much on these online guitar forums about The Creeping Canadian Menace?!? ... I think it's great that there are surprisingly high quality, low cost guitars coming out of China these days. We happen to be in a historical moment when that is actually possible. But the Chinese pay the same prices for raw materials as we do, and so eventually their prices will go up.

Short version: enjoy this historical moment while it's here, because it will change soon enough.
After reading through this entire thread, I find Wade's comments most on the mark. This is a great time for guitar players to obtain good quality, cost-effective guitars regardless of where they are made. The economics of this situation are not going to last forever.

As an aside, I have been helping a co-worker find a guitar in the $500-1000 price range and in working with one of the guitar stores where I have purchased equipment for the last 30 years, I find that they are carrying very few Chinese-made guitars, but they are pushing guitars made in Canada as an alternative.

Regards, Glenn
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Around here the "music stores" tend to carry Larrivees, Seagulls, maybe S&P and so forth but none of what we think of as "Chinese" brands. The "guitar stores" tend to carry "Chinese" brands but not the Canadian stuff. I suspect it has something to do with what distributors and/or manufacturer's reps they do business with.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Around here the "music stores" tend to carry Larrivees, Seagulls, maybe S&P and so forth but none of what we think of as "Chinese" brands. The "guitar stores" tend to carry "Chinese" brands but not the Canadian stuff. I suspect it has something to do with what distributors and/or manufacturer's reps they do business with.
Interesting comment, Brent. I had not thought of that.

- Glenn
Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Compared to the banjo and folk instrument markets, if this is a "golden age" of sorts for the guitar, then color me unimpressed. I don't think we're there, yet.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 AM

I don't think it's anything to do with where it's made. It's the age old cheap vs expensive discussion.

I'll use Yamaha's top line L series as an example. LL16, LL26 and LL36, all very similar, all solid wood, rosewood b&s and engelmann spruce top, 3 ply hog/rwood and something else neck, ebony where it should be and top build quality.

Yet without discussing prices, the LL16 sits at the Blueridge solid guitar price point, the LL26 at the Martin 16 series price point and the LL36 is at Martins standard 18/28 series price point.

Now if Yamaha can charge the extra why not Martin/Taylor etc. I bet if you sat with the 3 Yammies you may not value the price difference as being worth it but it will be there. The LL36 even has nitro finish and aged tone!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM

I own a Martin 000-15 and a Recording King 000.

The Martin is a far superior instrument in all aspects, though at it's price point the RK is a lovely little guitar.

Regarding the other matter. I have terrible anxieties about the level of hardwood forest destruction and the treatment of peoples in the the east who's lives can be harsh and unfair.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the biggest user of rare hardwood is the American guitar industry..that worries me.

I wish I did'nt love acoustics the way I do.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM

Anything imported into this country and sold by Americans keeps Americans working. Period. Now if any of you think you can build it better or cheaper, go ahead. America is a wonderful country for business start-ups. We'd all appreciate your contribution to American employment as well.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

which recording king is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9D View Post
I own a Martin 000-15 and a Recording King 000.

The Martin is a far superior instrument in all aspects, though at it's price point the RK is a lovely little guitar.

Regarding the other matter. I have terrible anxieties about the level of hardwood forest destruction and the treatment of peoples in the the east who's lives can be harsh and unfair.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the biggest user of rare hardwood is the American guitar industry..that worries me.

I wish I did'nt love acoustics the way I do.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM

Hi Patticake..

It's the RO-26, solid mahog and sitka top. Feels to me like a poor mans 000-28EC, with the V neck and wide string spacing...its really nice.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

it is nice, and i've heard good things about it.

you're comparing an entry level guitar (the RK) with a somewhat up the scale guitar. perhaps it would be fairer to compare the RO-26 to a martin x series, or maybe the 1 series, and i suspect that the RK would do better in the comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam9D View Post
Hi Patticake..

It's the RO-26, solid mahog and sitka top. Feels to me like a poor mans 000-28EC, with the V neck and wide string spacing...its really nice.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion