The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 01:41 PM

Default Silk and Steel strings and a Rare Earth Humbucking pick-up

After reading numerous posts about putting S&S strings on a 12 string I believe I’d like to try it out.

My Taylor 12 string has a Rare Earth humbucking soundhole pick-up. Will the pick-up pick up (see what I did there?) the sound of the strings efficiently and effectively?

Disclaimer: I am a technological nincompoop, hence the question.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
After reading numerous posts about putting S&S strings on a 12 string I believe I’d like to try it out.

My Taylor 12 string has a Rare Earth humbucking soundhole pick-up. Will the pick-up pick up (see what I did there?) the sound of the strings efficiently and effectively?

Disclaimer: I am a technological nincompoop, hence the question.
I don’t know if this helps, but I use silk wrapped nickel strings on my Les Pauls, SGs, and 335. Perhaps it is my imagination, but I hear less ear piercing treble and a much zingier top end with pop. Think thicker top end without the ice pick in the ear. Remember - humbuckers on Gibsons through either 6v6 or EL84 hand wired amps. I run Custombuckers, Wagner Crossroads, and 57 Classics all with 50s wiring. All the pups are ALNICO magnets - 2s, 3s, and 5s. Might be TMI.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-30-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

It will pickup the strings but it might not sound great. The wound Silk and Steel strings will often have a thinner core than a regular string so the balance can be off. Fishman does not recommend their pickup for silk and steel. That said, it will pickup all the strings and the sound may work for you so it's worth trying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion