The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
Ok I just got mine and trained my custom built dread and my old alvarez and WOW. I dont have any idea what I am doing but, they sound unbelievable!

Question for you guys using these live, if I am using a looper, does it go in the chain prior to this or after it?
The ToneDexter (or any other IR) always goes first.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:52 AM

Thanks guys! I only have the tonedexter and the boss rc500 in the chain into my EV30M. I was playing around with it all last night and am super impressed. I love the sound I am getting out of it now.

Looking forward to putting it to work at my gig tonight!!
Old 05-09-2024, 02:03 PM

Hi, I feel like an idiot asking this, but - Does plugging in a TS cable (instead of a TRS cable) in the effects loop work for a mono setup? I was reading somewhere that this can sometimes reduce the signal by 6 dB...I tried using my TS cables and I couldn't get the loop to work at all, which I thought was strange. Since the 3 pedals in the loop use TS cables I simply couldn't figure out why the loop wasn't working in mono mode. Maybe it's just this particular unit that was a demo model - IDK. Any thoughts are much appreciated!
Matt
Godin Multiac Steel HG
PRS Hollowbody II Piezo
Old 05-09-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Ellis View Post
Hi, I feel like an idiot asking this, but - Does plugging in a TS cable (instead of a TRS cable) in the effects loop work for a mono setup? I was reading somewhere that this can sometimes reduce the signal by 6 dB...I tried using my TS cables and I couldn't get the loop to work at all, which I thought was strange. Since the 3 pedals in the loop use TS cables I simply couldn't figure out why the loop wasn't working in mono mode. Maybe it's just this particular unit that was a demo model - IDK. Any thoughts are much appreciated!
Matt

Hey Matt-

I am using a reverb pedal on my TD2 loop with just mono patch cables without issue.

One thing you should check is the Routing options for how the FX Loop is configured. There’s different ways to route the FX Send.

Otherwise- you can always email James, or he may respond here. It’s one of my favorite things about TD is how involved/engaged James is.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:05 PM

Hi Matt

Josh from Audio Sprockets here. Firstly, there’s no problem connecting TS (mono) cables into the ToneDexter’s FX loop, it handles that fine.

The ToneDexter has a number of ways it can be configured from a routing perspective, which can be accessed by tapping the Output control (top left) then tapping Routing Options. In the default configuration, the WaveMap signal is mixed with the dry signal in whatever proportions you’ve chosen (default is 0% dry, 100% WaveMap), and that is sent to both the tip and ring of FX Send (Left and Right), and the DI and Output jacks are configured to be the sum of the L and R return (called FX Return Mono). If no cables are connected to the FX loop, the LR are routed internally, so you’re right if you connect a mono FX loop, the signal level will reduce by 6dB. This isn’t normally an issue as you’re unlikely to be connecting and disconnecting cables in the middle of a gig, but if you wanted the levels to be the same, you can set the DI and/or Output routing to be FX Return Left. Then the level will be 6dB lower whether there’s a mono FX chain connected or not.

If you’re not getting anything on the output when you connect a mono FX loop, make sure you’ve not set the output routing to be FX Return Right, which would be the channel on the ring of the connector that gets shorted out by a TS connector.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Josh
Old 05-10-2024, 08:19 AM

Thank you both so much for your detailed responses! There is something off about the demo unit I am using. It keeps on rebooting even though it is powered by the power supply it came with. I'm returning it and will get myself a new/non-demo one for a bit more money once they are back in stock at Sweetwater.

Thanks again!
Matt
Godin Multiac Steel HG
PRS Hollowbody II Piezo
Old 05-10-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thank you both so much for your detailed responses! There is something off about the demo unit I am using. It keeps on rebooting even though it is powered by the power supply it came with. I'm returning it and will get myself a new/non-demo one for a bit more money once they are back in stock at Sweetwater.

Thanks again!
Matt
I bought a demo unit from Sweetwater (not a ToneDexter) and it had problems. They replaced it with a new unit at no additional charge.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-10-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks again!

Matt

I wonder if they (Sweetwater) gave you the right power supply? I’ve messed with some underpowered power supplies with my TD2 and that’s how it acted.

Either way- you shouldn’t have to sweat it and I’m sure Sweetwater will take care of you.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 05-10-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
I wonder if they (Sweetwater) gave you the right power supply? I’ve messed with some underpowered power supplies with my TD2 and that’s how it acted.

Either way- you shouldn’t have to sweat it and I’m sure Sweetwater will take care of you.
Yes, the TD2 is power hungry and that is the most likely problem (incorrect or faulty power supply). I am using a One Spot 9v and it works perfectly. I like it because of the extra long heavy duty cable, and the way it sits thin and sideways in the 110v plug.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Yes, the TD2 is power hungry and that is the most likely problem (incorrect or faulty power supply). I am using a One Spot 9v and it works perfectly. I like it because of the extra long heavy duty cable, and the way it sits thin and sideways in the 110v plug.

Hi all,
I got my TD2 from Thomann UK and it too would not power up with the supply provided.
The supply was rated at 12V/500mA which is too low as the TD2 requires a supply that can deliver at least 675mA at 12V.
This is clearly a supply issue. (Sorry didn’t mean to pun….)
The TD2 works fine with a 9V/1000mA supply that I have and Thomann kindly gave me a £30 refund, which was the easiest option for me. I certainly wasn’t going to return it and wait another 4 months for a replacement!

Do check the legend on the supply unit, the text is tiny though but legible with a magnifying glass. I bet there are a few units out there with the wrong PSU.
All the best,
Colin
Old 05-14-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrison View Post

Hi Larrison,
Yes, Sweetwater refunded me so I'm all set. The power supply looked exactly the same as my 1st gen. Tonedexter. Power supplies can be dodgy so maybe it was. Got a brand new one incoming, so I'll be finding out soon.
Thanks again!
Matt
Godin Multiac Steel HG
PRS Hollowbody II Piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification