The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2024, 06:14 PM

Default under bridge plat pup

I am having a guitar built and want a K&k mini ,but someone on here said they make a pickup with three pick ups that glue to under the bridge instead of the standard two. Can someone point out what this is? Thanks.

Last edited by eyesore; 04-18-2024 at 07:42 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 04-18-2024, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

The two guitars I have had that had the K&K Mini installed were both 3 piezo disc systems, although I've heard that K&K makes a version with only two discs...

My current favorite, the Dazzo, has only two triangle sensors, but I find it to be far superior to the K&K Mini...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-18-2024, 09:09 PM

Maybe you're thinking of the James May Ultra Tonic pickup? Older versions had 4 sensors (vs the K&K Pure Mini which has 3), plus an additional sensor used to help suppress feedback from the others.

The latest Ultra Tonic, version 3, actually only has two sensors--one long bar that senses all the strings, plus the feedback sensor.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I am having a guitar built and want a K&k mini ,but someone on here said they make a pickup with three pick ups that glue to under the bridge instead of the standard two. Can someone point out what this is? Thanks.
The standard K&K that is made for acoustic 6 string guitar is the Pure Mini. The three transducer disks that comprise the Pure Mini are glued on the bridge plate, directly under the saddle.

You should go directly to the K&K website and download the installation manual for the Pure Mini so you know exactly how it will be installed.

K&K makes a variety of other configurations and systems.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Maybe you're thinking of the James May Ultra Tonic pickup? Older versions had 4 sensors (vs the K&K Pure Mini which has 3), plus an additional sensor used to help suppress feedback from the others.

The latest Ultra Tonic, version 3, actually only has two sensors--one long bar that senses all the strings, plus the feedback sensor.
That's it .Ultra Tonic... they don't make it anymore? I'll look it up ,Thanks.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's it .Ultra Tonic... they don't make it anymore? I'll look it up ,Thanks.
It doesn't look like they make the old 4-sensor version. I don't know the effect of a single longer sensor, but James knows his stuff (he also created the ToneDexter), so I would assume the 2-sensor version of the Ultra Tonic is just as good, if not better than, the older model.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Each piezo pickup will output a signal. You can use a larger piezo and get more output. You can also use multiple sensors and connect them in parallel so they act like one big piezo.

Its important to note that the output is a function of AREA not diameter so the larger discs give an exponentially greater output.

You can connect two or three or four or five or six (etcetera).

The benefit of separate sensors is that you tend to get clearer responses from different strings. The best solution is to have a separate sensor for each string. But, that's difficult to do unless you make tiny sensors and can separate the string inputs with a split saddle or some such.

So its merely balancing your options:
  • simple installation
  • space to install the sensors
  • clarity of sound
  • output levels
  • cost

It turns out most companies have found that 2 or 3 sensors seem to be optimum for an bridge-mounted soundboard transducer pickup.

There is no one answer nor one "rule of thumb".

You would need much smaller discs to fit six. That would give you SOME clearer separation of strings but at reduced output.

A single disc would give good output but it would be pretty big and wouldnt pickup all the strings evenly.

So, spreading to or three discs out under the strings is kinda about the optimum solution. They are far enough apart to separate string vibrations, while still giving high enough output and not taking up too much space.

I recently had a K&K where my guitar was less responsive on the treble side so I added a fourth disc and it brightened up the tone while adding a little output level.

so.....in a nutshell: it depends.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-19-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
K&K pure mini = 3 (pretty standard)
K&K Twinspot = 2 (not so common).
Old 04-19-2024, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
The two guitars I have had that had the K&K Mini installed were both 3 piezo disc systems, although I've heard that K&K makes a version with only two discs...

My current favorite, the Dazzo, has only two triangle sensors, but I find it to be far superior to the K&K Mini...
Hi folks…
K&K makes pickups for mandolins, violins (violas, cellos and string basses too) as well as 'ethnic' instruments, lutes, etc.

Many people have preferences, and lots of 'other' gear to enhance (naturalize) the sound of our guitars.

And I've played on the same 'bill' with players using everything from in-soundhole-magnetic pickups to exotic creations.

But once they started to play, nobody cared because we were listening to their music.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification