The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2004, 10:50 PM

Default I know, a stupid question, but...

I have an 814ce, 2004. I have been using just a dampened t-shirt to get the fingerprints off of it. Does anybody have any advice on what products to use and what cloth materials to use to keep it looking nice? Without scratching of course. Oh, and it has a gloss finish. Thanks for your advice and it is extremely appreciated. I spent a lot of money on this sucker and I want to keep it looking great. Please help

2004 814ce
Seagull SM-6
Yamahoppy NS
Esteve NS
Ibanez RG3
Rickenbacher 12 string electric (super old, but sweet)
Old 05-21-2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickna
I have an 814ce, 2004. I have been using just a dampened t-shirt to get the fingerprints off of it. Does anybody have any advice on what products to use and what cloth materials to use to keep it looking nice? Without scratching of course. Oh, and it has a gloss finish. Thanks for your advice and it is extremely appreciated. I spent a lot of money on this sucker and I want to keep it looking great. Please help

The only cloths I have found that do not scratch guitar surfaces at all are microfiber cloths.. I get them from walmart, definetly worth it. I've tried brand new "guitar cloths" from fender and other companies that still lightly scratch the surface even on the first use. As far as cleaners and polishes there are alot of them. I like the way Martin guitar polish looks... if you want a seperate cleaner and polish try PRS it gives a deep gloss wet look to the guitar. Everyone seems to have their favorites, I went through about 4 different brands before I settled on the ones mentioned.
2004 Huss and Dalton D-RH
2004 Huss and Dalton MJC
19?? Takamine G534
Diezel VH4
Marshall JMP
Marshall JCM 800
Marshall MG 30 FX
Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 PM

I purchased some cloth rags at Home Depot a few weeks ago. I'm not a materials expert, but these rags have a felt-like quality. They are a light yellow color. The feel very much like the dust cloths you buy at the guitar store. So far the seem to be working very well and they are cheap. I washed them before using, to remove any grime or oils that might have been in the rag.

I like to use Ken Smith Pro Formula Polish. Seems to work very well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion