The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Settling In - Action getting higher

Upon purchase of my first new guitar I had it set up at the shop and the action was low and buttery. I've noticed that the action is creeping upwards over the last 5 months even though the string tension has remained the same. The action is still pretty low but higher than it was immediately after getting set up. I suspect that a truss rod adjustment is all that's needed but I'd like to ask...

Have others noticed this after purchasing a new guitar?
If so how long did it take for your guitar to settle in?
Or are truss adjustments a part of guitar's maintenance program?
1964 Suzuki #7
Parkwood PW-410 (Sitka Spruce/Australian Blackwood)

Last edited by darrinc; 02-01-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: needed better title
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM

New guitars do tend to move around. It can be due to settling in to the string tension. It can also be humidity related.

If your humidity is not too high, the first thing to check is the neck relief (amount of curve in the neck). Most people are best with between .004" - .010" curve between the 1st and 12th fret.

If there is more curve than that, the truss rod adjustment is likely the way to go. If it's in that range, you may need to lower the saddle. Hard to diagnose from a distance though.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM

Hi,

I had the same thing happen to my Yamaha FG730S (since sold). I bought it during the middle of summertime and had it set-up shortly after. After a few months I too noticed that the action was just slightly raised from the original set-up (which was set-up super low, so I noticed the difference). I did do a slight truss rod adjustment and it did get a tad better. I talked to the shop and they said seasonal changes can effect guitars in many ways and people who live in regions with drastic seasonal climate changes usually have to do some kind of tweaking. (I live in New England, so summer/winter are drastically different).

give it a shot.. but only do very small adjustments and give the guitar time to settle into each adjustment before further tweaking.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion