The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha L Series Questions

I'm considering buying an inexpensive guitar to keep at a vacation cabin and have seen a lot of good reports about the Yamaha L series, especially the LL16 and 16M.

So regarding the Yamaha L series, can anyone tell me the width of the waist of these at the narrowest point? Also, any one have any experiences with comfort in playing these vs. playing a dread shaped guitar, especially related to right shoulder issues?

When sitting which is how I play most, I rest the waist on my left leg (classical style) and I cannot play a dread for more than 20 or 30 minutes without my shoulder starting to hurt. I think that is more due to the wider waist with respect to how I hold the guitar, rather than the width or depth of the lower bout (but I may be wrong about that). Would appreciate you're experiences and comments.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 03-28-2024, 11:58 AM

The Yamaha will feel a lot like a Dreadnaught guitar.
I have back and shoulder issues which made playing a Dread very uncomfortable.

My answer was to use a guitar strap when sitting.
The strap supports the guitar and by playing this way, I can even play a Jumbo guitar without pain.

As far as yo getting a Yamaha LL-16, I got one several months ago and love it.
It sounds great with good balance and a nice bass presence.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I know this isn't the question you're asking but if I was looking to get a guitar to remain at a vacation cabin I'd be looking at a laminated LL6 not a solid wood LL16...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
. I will say that for knocking around a cabin I’d go with the less expensive laminate version. From a few threads I’ve read folks love the sound out of both.
Ditto....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-28-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Interesting thread. I can’t answer any questions but I’ve been considering either a LS6 or LS16 in rosewood. I will say that for knocking around a cabin I’d go with the less expensive laminate version. From a few threads I’ve read folks love the sound out of both.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrocker View Post
can anyone tell me the width of the waist of these at the narrowest point?
I have two L series, but not those exact models. I get 9.25" at the waist for the LS and 10 5/8 for the LL and I think they are all pretty close to the same size within series. If size is a problem then the LS of the L's may be the way to go.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ies/specs.html

None of them that I have played feel or sound cheap so they get babied anyway, the same way as others guitars 10x $$. My kids have had inexpensive laminate side Yamaha's for a decade or two and they are still very nice playing guitars also and have held up well and their geometry is still good.

Last edited by redi; 03-28-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Thanks much for the measurements redi. By way of comparison, a Martin D has a 10 13/16" waist, almost identical. And thanks for the advise RP and rollypolly. Since I know almost nothing about Yamaha guitars that's very helpful and sounds like the way to go, especially since multiple people will probably be using it.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Might consider the FS or FG 3 also.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
Might consider the FS or FG 3 also.
OK. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:44 PM

I'll second the 6 since the laminate may be better as a knock around guitar. My LLX6A took a really hard hit early on. I paid to have it repaired (the wood split in the back and the top finish broke, but not the top wood) and I've put many hours on it. It still sings out beautifully. The Engelmann spruce and the multi ply neck are quite the combination.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:39 AM

You probably should be looking at the LS, which has a smaller body size (they call it concert size) rather than the LL. I went to LS size guitars now specifically due to shoulder discomfort with full size guitars. Here are some thoughts on some models you might consider:

1. The LS16. I just bought a rosewood model (also available with Mahogany B&S). The action out of the box, and fit and finish of the guitar, is absolutely stellar. The tone just rings and the sustain of notes is impressive. As an example of how resonant it is, it is activated when it hangs on the wall hanger beside my head where I happen to sit and practice my Spanish with a phone app. My talking (pronunciation practice), and maybe even the dinging noises the app makes, resonates the top and I hear the guitar humming. I've noticed other guitars on this hanger resonating when I make a loud noise (cough, yell), but never from just talking. It also comes with a very nice hard bag, and the included pickup also sounds pretty good to my ear, although I don't have much experience with acoustic electric guitars. The downside of the LS16 for your cabin however, is that it is all solid wood.

2. The LS6. I had one of these a few years back. It was a really nice guitar too, and I probably shouldn't have sold it. I can't offer a direct comparison of the LS6 and 16, but I would point out the the 6 has laminate B&S, and would no doubt exhibit the famous Yamaha durability and imperviousness to environmental conditions.

3. The FS 800 series guitar. All have laminate back and sides, and solid tops. There are several models ranging from the budget and bling-free 800 (about $229) up to the all mahogany 850 (about $460). I've had an FS 800 since they first came out, and it's one of my favorite guitars. It was my office guitar for years, and it about as indestructible as a wooden guitar can be. It sounds way better than any $200 guitar should.

4. You might also consider the CSF1 guitar (about $450). It is a parlor size guitar with a short scale, but normal width and thickness neck. I just got one on sale for $400 OTD, and I like it a lot. In fact, I like it so much that I sold both of my GS minis. These travel guitars are great for vacations, and they come with a really nice travel bag.

5. FS3 and FS5. Never seen one of these in the wild, but folks seem to love them! All solid wood however, so might not be the best choice to leave at a cabin.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

If the larger body dread is too big, the smaller FS body is really nice. Like a 000 size. My wife’s first guitar was a FS830 and for $230 it is a great little guitar. I kept it when she moved on to her L-00 and 000-15m guitars. I plan to use it as a travel guitar just like you’re talking about.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:21 PM

I have a $700 LavaMe2 carbon fiber guitar that I leave at our "cabin" all year round. It's at about 6,000 feet up in the mountains where the air is cool, very cool, and dry. The house has a thermostatically controlled HVAC system; indoors the temp varies between 50°F and 80°F. The guitar is just as happy as it can be.

If you'll be leaving your cabin guitar alone for extended periods, consider a non-wooden instrument. I'm amazed and gratified at how well the carbon fiber guitar handles the climate issue. And there's more room in the car when we go up north. Perfect.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:17 PM

Apologies in advance for a newbie question, but can someone explain why a laminated B/S guitar with a solid top would withstand climate changes better than an all solid one? Isn't it particularly the top that will crack or warp with too low or high RH?
Old 03-29-2024, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I've owned LL16 and 3 LS16s, both R and M. The LL16 will feel like a dread, I loved mine, but my 74 YO body thought it too big, The LS16s feel just right. Deeper than an OM, so it still has a full sound, just not as bassy as the LL, but comfy to play. The laminate versions are good, but don't have the richness of overtones of the solids. If you prefer a slightly warmer "woodier" sound, get the mahogany version, which I love. All super choices for the $, or a good bit more.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctone View Post
Apologies in advance for a newbie question, but can someone explain why a laminated B/S guitar with a solid top would withstand climate changes better than an all solid one? Isn't it particularly the top that will crack or warp with too low or high RH?
Backs and sides are also subject to cracking...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion