The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2023, 06:19 PM

Default If you've found a great guitar, should you continue to search greater?

Search, no. Happen upon, sure.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:27 PM

If you are perfectly happy with the D18, as well you might be, why tempt yourself with anything else?

If you are looking for a second complementary guitar or you have physical problems playing the D18, well, then that is different.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaxinojo View Post
Search, no. Happen upon, sure.
Ah. Thanks for the tip. I like it.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If you are perfectly happy with the D18, as well you might be, why tempt yourself with anything else?
You're right. I'm totally satisfied with the D-18. You've pulled me away from GAS relapse; thanks! I should just work on my playing skills.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:04 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
You're right. I'm totally satisfied with the D-18. You've pulled me away from GAS relapse; thanks! I should just work on my playing skills.
Good answer!

But you can always keep looking around and trying new guitars, if it's not too triggering. I love to try out as many different guitars as I can. That's part of the learning process, too.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:56 AM

Back in '87 after looking at and playing many different guitars, I came upon the "ONE" When I played it in the music store it truly spoke to me like no other guitar. I have kept it all these years, through a neck reset and a couple of refrets. I have never seen a guitar that moves me like this one. Martin HD 28. Now I have purchased a few companion guitars over the years, so I can play outside or play out and not totally wear out the Martin. Currently I have a couple of Larrivee guitars that work well for me.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:13 AM

I found my D-18 by accident; but, once found, I knew this was the guitar for me for life. Being on AGF as much as I am, no surprise that I'm thinking about something else.

How did you find your great guitar?
If you were happy and totally satisfied with a previoud guitar, what caused you to look?[/QUOTE]

Be honest with yourself. What do you really want?

You describe the D18 as "THE guitar for life" but you seem very easily swayed by thoughts that there might be something "better" out there.

If you cannot define what it is about the D18 that is "not good enough", how are you going to even know what to look for in another guitar?

Not knowing what you want + being willing to spend 7-10K sounds like a precarious strategy for satisfaction, but that's just my opinion.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Be honest with yourself. What do you really want?

You describe the D18 as "THE guitar for life" but you seem very easily swayed by thoughts that there might be something "better" out there
I really just wanted the D-18; very happy with it.

I don't even know why I even considered looking around. Maybe a combination of midnight AGF reading (lots of Collings and Santa Cruz guitars reference lately on the forum) and a blank-check from wife to buy any guitar.

Honestly, the D-18 plays like butter and sounds great. There's nothing I want to change about it. I guess I just answered my own question right here. Thank you for the hint to help me find my answer.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
But you can always keep looking around and trying new guitars, if it's not too triggering. I love to try out as many different guitars as I can. That's part of the learning process, too.
I think I'm done trying new guitars (acoustic guitars). Maybe if one comes my way naturally thru some everyday event; I don't really have the desire to look.

Yes, talk is cheap. So let's see if I'm still with the D-18 5 years from now; I'll report back BTW, by then, we'll both be pretty good guitarists if we're still on this forum.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Well, that is a game you can never win. Whatever you have, there always might be something better. You will never be happy until you just settle for what you have.
I agree, but I might change the wording because “settle for” implies your understanding that you have chosen something inferior. I might say: you can learn to be happy by learning to enjoy the journey of loving and engaging with what you have, more than the journey of searching for something different, even though it may or may not be better. I think that this is often just a different phase of life, and it reads like that’s where you are, Jack. Nice.

I got lucky to find my favourite guitar, a Guild F50R, used for $800 when I was 19, and at 52 now we have been through a lot together over the past 33 years. I got my second guitar 19 years ago- a parlor because I got tired of lugging my big old jumbo around and worried I’d damage it, and I’ve enjoyed having the two. I’d even like another flavour- but I’m not really searching, just having fun in guitar shops.

Most important, what I love is playing, and when I’m shopping I’m not playing. I agree- stay open to what comes your way, but if you found your guitar, just play it. Playing is way better than shopping. Kip
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel

Last edited by Jeffreykip; 06-05-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I really enjoy owning and playing different guitars. CL is my friend when I want to sell a guitar and try something else.
Here is where personalities and means among other things affect what you do. 6L6 and I are the same in some respects and different in others. When we first met, he was leaning Collings and has changed to mostly Martins. He has had one or two guitars the whole time he has kept, and bought and sold more than I can count. He derives pleasure in the buying and the selling of guitars, is astute in both the buying and selling, and happy in his general guitar outlook. Certainly has what he does down to a science.

On the other hand, I hate selling instruments, and only rarely buy them. The selling of instruments is crucial to 6L6s approach to guitar ownership. My D 35 Guild is like the pound puppy rescued from an uncertain fate. I bought it unplayable and had it fixed. Far from the world's greatest guitar, I'm very attached to it, as I am to my 65 Texan. I did trade some instrument to get my Santa Cruz, but that speaks to the Santa Cruz's effect on me. Mostly the instruments sat unplayed, but to justify the purchase I had to give up my 00 15 Custom and two mandolins. But the Santa Cruz will endure. I've sold two guitars in twenty five years, other than very recently. 6L6 does that in less than a year. It's just the different natures of people and how they do things.

I do like looking in Craigslist for what he's selling when he buys a guitar, because he always does sell something nice.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-05-2023, 05:55 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
So let's see if I'm still with the D-18 5 years from now; I'll report back BTW, by then, we'll both be pretty good guitarists if we're still on this forum.
Amen to that, my brother! We better all still be here!
Old 06-06-2023, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I find myself going through the same thought process in regards to learning new songs vs perfecting the ones I already know. Sometimes a new song will inspire and energize me. Trading guitars has the same effect.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

In all of my buys and sells, the goal has always been "different" rather than "greater." I pretty much love them all

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-07-2023, 06:19 AM

No, just be happy with the D-18. But of course you have already headed down the replacement road... you are in good company here, I have a studio full of guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion