The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
I think the VTS and hide glue really push this model along in terms of tone...
Just to be accurate....there is no hide glue. There is fish glue used only to attach the braces to the top. The rest is assembled with “modern” adhesive.

I was specifically looking for a 1/4” braced 000-28. The OM Standard gets 1/4” bracing and the 000-18 Standard gets 1/4” bracing. But there was no 000-28 that didn’t get dreadnought sized bracing before the MD. So while the Ti rod, C/F plate, LM pins etc etc are nice upgrades, for me, it was all about finding the unicorn 000-28 with 1/4” braces. I can’t really attest to the other models but this 000-28MD is superb in every regard. Also, I have always bought custom shop guitars because I believed the extra attention and hands-on from the best craftsmen in the building was worthwhile. But this production guitar is every bit the equal of my customs in fit and finish.

As far as “stand the test of time”, I look at it like a car. The MD is simply a factory options package on a Standard model. It’s like buying a Z06 over a base Corvette. Proven higher performance but some don’t like stiff suspensions and forced induction. And just like cars, guitar models need to be refreshed from time to time. Heck, they discontinued the highly regarded Vintage Series to make room for MD. So, nothing is forever.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 09-17-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM

I love my 000-28MD. It will stand the test of my time because it will grow old with me.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Like most other "special edition" issues, they will remain just that. Will it remain in their lineup? It depends on getting traction as well as margin, profit and marketing boost. The adirondack bracing alone will make them different in response than the standard 18's and 28's. Will the liquidmetal bridge pins make any kind of important difference or is it just an expensive feature that they can market off of? Only those who have tried them have a guess.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Martin guitars have all had truss rods since the 20s.
But adjustable truss rods only since 1985.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
But adjustable truss rods only since 1985.
Yep. The MDs are interesting in that they have lighter titanium rods. Hopefully they prove as durable as steel in the long run.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Yes they will.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Like most other "special edition" issues, they will remain just that. Will it remain in their lineup? It depends on getting traction as well as margin, profit and marketing boost. The adirondack bracing alone will make them different in response than the standard 18's and 28's. Will the liquidmetal bridge pins make any kind of important difference or is it just an expensive feature that they can market off of? Only those who have tried them have a guess.
To be consistent with Martin’s lingo, the Modern Deluxe is not a special edition (like the Woodstock guitars for example), it is a new “Series”. That suggests more staying power and a lineup that will be expanded. 000-18MD anyone?

We are also seeing features from the MD being used in other guitars—LM pins, Ti rods, c/f plates. These features do affect tone slightly but the MD is every bit a Martin.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Just to be accurate....there is no hide glue. There is fish glue used only to attach the braces to the top. The rest is assembled with “modern” adhesive.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was sure I read somewhere that they were hide glue...? or Natural Protein glue... which I thought was hide glue...? but either way I was surprised at the price point given it's like a $1500 upgrade on a customshop model...
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, I was sure I read somewhere that they were hide glue...? or Natural Protein glue... which I thought was hide glue...? but either way I was surprised at the price point given it's like a $1500 upgrade on a customshop model...
Martin doesn't make a big deal out of it, and are fairly non-specific in their "natural protein glue construction" blurb on the MD model pages(s) on their website.

You're getting the VTS top and a lot of other differences from the Standard series that account for the price bump, I'd assume. It's not a bump over a Custom Shop model, IMO/IME, if you go through the steps of actually building a custom shop model based on a standard series, you'll blow past the MD MSRP pretty quickly. (I've never taken the step to contact a dealer to see what the actual selling price for a custom shop would be, vs. the street, i.e., discount from MAP, of a Standard or MD series.)

I've tried the OM and 000 of these and agree the 000 is a really big difference from the Standard series. The OM is different, and that might be a taste kind of thing.

The one thing that irks me in this series is the abalone side marker dots. Just can't get around their invisibility sometimes, depending on how the light hits them. Seems like a poor choice.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Buy a Collings OM2h T and you won't have to worry about that.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 AM

I'll respond from the perspective of a serial guitar buyer/seller. When the MD series was released in January, I was very excited. When I learned that the neck was skinny, I was no longer interested. But, I played one and thought it sounded good. I played a second one and thought it sounded great. I played a third one and took it home after trading for a recently acquired D-28 custom with an Adi top.

I usually prefer fatter necks for the tone. But, somehow, this guitar sounds as good as a fat neck guitar (titanium truss?) with the benefit of an easy playing skinny neck. I usually like Adirondack and not Sitka. But, somehow, they got the torrefaction, adi bracing, fish glue, etc. right. This one booms.

So, will it stand the test of time? I don't know. But, I'm a serial guitar buyer and I haven't been in a shop or looked seriously online at a new guitar since I bought this one. I have had other guitars with all the specs that I "prefer." But, I have been playing this one exclusively since I bought it.

The tone is big and powerful with lots of bass and sustain, and a touch of additional brightness (bridge plate and EVO frets?).

It's also a great looking guitar. Love the maple binding.

Try one and you might like it.

The only thing that might tempt me to sell it is if they released a version with a very high quality Adi top.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-18-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Frankly, they'd be better-served finding a way to spread some of that Authentic/Marquis mojo to the low-/mid-line offerings on a permanent basis - rather than killing off these "too much guitar for the money" models under the premise of "poor sales"...
Which models are you referring to? I have a SWOMGT spruce/cherry OM that I think is a fantastic guitar and relatively low-priced on the Martin scale. These went away but now they offer an OME cherry which is almost the same guitar for hundreds more. I wondered if they thought this model was underpriced when new. I bought mine used here on AGF.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Anything marketed as modern will inevitably become outdated or irrelevant. I think that these guitars have some nice appointments (albeit pricey), but coining them as modern just seems silly from a long term perspective. I mean think about it. What would you think if you were looking on Reverb or eBay in 10-15 years and you saw a D-18 Modern for sale? Just seems silly to me.

Seems like marketing something around a period in time should only be done when referencing the past.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Anything marketed as modern will inevitably become outdated or irrelevant. I think that these guitars have some nice appointments (albeit pricey), but coining them as modern just seems silly from a long term perspective. I mean think about it. What would you think if you were looking on Reverb or eBay in 10-15 years and you saw a D-18 Modern for sale? Just seems silly to me.

Seems like marketing something around a period in time should only be done when referencing the past.
Insightful comment on the Marketing. I agree. I expect them to re-brand them as the standard or just (Deluxe) series, if they sell.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 AM

I just want a 1937 D-28 Authentic Aged with a skinnier neck!!! I don't want to hold a 4x4 post all day while I'm playing guitar!! Would that be too much to ask??

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion