The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
VERY important and no one has mentioned: what kind of neck profile do you like?

They are truly a full C shape, bordering on chunky.

You may or may not like that.
Very true! I happen to like it but I didn't realize I actually like chunkier necks until I ordered a Martin 000-28ec not realizing it has a beefy soft V shape. I found I was having less hand pain with it and have thus sought out chunkier necks, but a lot of people have had the opposite experience so it's good to know this before purchasing sight unseen.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-18-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I used an 2014 Martin D-18 Standard as my main guitar for 6 years. It was a nice guitar and had more of the classic Martin sound. I liked a lot of things about that guitar.

The 18 style dread that I am playing right now (have had it about a month) is an E10D-TC. The players that I have been following most lately have been Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Andrew Marlin (Mandolin Orange) and Eli West. To me, this Eastman gets me more into the ballbark of the boutique guitars these artists play, and I have really enjoyed the volume, responsiveness, and feel of this guitar.

Like said above, one is not better than the other. Just different.
Very good point and I agree. If you can afford a Martin pre war series and even the standard series are more at my age I want to pay great you'll be happy..I think. But these Eastmans are an incredible value and the workmanship is good. In 6 years mine has opened up and sounds like a boutique acoustic.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I used an 2014 Martin D-18 Standard as my main guitar for 6 years. It was a nice guitar and had more of the classic Martin sound. I liked a lot of things about that guitar.

The 18 style dread that I am playing right now (have had it about a month) is an E10D-TC. The players that I have been following most lately have been Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Andrew Marlin (Mandolin Orange) and Eli West. To me, this Eastman gets me more into the ballbark of the boutique guitars these artists play, and I have really enjoyed the volume, responsiveness, and feel of this guitar.

Like said above, one is not better than the other. Just different.
Interesting factoid, the dreadnought that Andrew Marlin plays, he made himself while doing a workshop or something with a builder in North Carolina.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-18-2022, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

If you're buying new, it's good if you can ask the seller to play the guitar, describe the neck, and add any other details that may be relevant. That's a big reason I've repeatedly shopped with Ted at LA Guitar Sales. When he had more than one guitar in stock, he'd take the time to play and inspect each one to pick the one that best fit my needs. And even if there's only one in stock, it's good to ask these questions, in order to avoid surprises upon delivery. While Eastman's necks have gotten much more consistent, they are still hand-carved, so there can be variation from guitar to guitar.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_D View Post
Interesting factoid, the dreadnought that Andrew Marlin plays, he made himself while doing a workshop or something with a builder in North Carolina.
I love that guitar. He apparently messed up the finish by accident, which gives it that really cool worn look. When we saw them a couple of years ago, they were playing a Pre War Guitar Company 28 style dread. I say they, because Andrew and Emily passed the guitar back and forth to each other throughout the show depending on who would play guitar on the different songs.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:38 PM

I know I’m late to the party, but I bought an E20D-TC a few weeks ago, and I love it. My other rosewood dread is a ‘57 D-28. When a friend and I switch back and forth between them, the Eastman most definitely holds its own. What a fine guitar.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 03-28-2024, 08:06 PM

Eastman is the new Martin.

They are that good.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Great guitars, for sure. I would point out that a Martin and Eastman won't have the exact same sound. Eastman will have more clarity and balance, not to mention the difference between Adi and Sitka tops, while the Martin will have a little more boom on the bottom end.

Neither is better than the other, but they will sound different.
I agree with this. I favor balance and clarity, and the Eastman dread's do a great job of it.

I've played many examples of all their dreads, and you can find a good one at each level. They do vary: I've played E2's I liked better than E20's. You gotta play them.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:17 AM

I recently bought a E8D-TC which is from the short run with the Alpine Spruce tops. All I can say is it has far exceeded my expectations. Not being a bluegrass player Adi tops aren't really a bonus for me. The standard Sitka topped E8D-TC is one I would also look at while you are thinking about the E20D-TC.

I compared my E8 to a Martin D28HD and it seemed more balanced, less boomy and had sweeter harmonics. IMO they are excellent guitars, especially if you can purchase used.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-29-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I recently bought a E8D-TC which is from the short run with the Alpine Spruce tops. All I can say is it has far exceeded my expectations. Not being a bluegrass player Adi tops aren't really a bonus for me. The standard Sitka topped E8D-TC is one I would also look at while you are thinking about the E20D-TC.

I compared my E8 to a Martin D28HD and it seemed more balanced, less boomy and had sweeter harmonics. IMO they are excellent guitars, especially if you can purchase used.

Original post is 3 years old.
Un branded Chinese guitar with lotsa bling
Old 03-29-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
2, but still old. OP probably made their decision.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
There's most likely, just plenty of pickers who enjoy crowing about Eastmans, even on a three year old post? They build incredible instruments... Heck, I can get that way myself, when the spirit is upon me.... <wink wink>

I'd guess there's been quite a few conversions to Eastman, since the original post was written, as well?

Don

Last edited by Don Lampson; 03-29-2024 at 05:24 PM. Reason: word

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion