The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2024, 08:13 AM

Default Tonedexter II for recording?

I am wondering how the Tonedexter II might fare for recording guitar direct for guitar and vocals selfie YouTube videos. I know a mic would be better, but I like the idea of recording in scenic places that have ambient noise. It seems to me like using a Tonedexter instead of a mic would cut down the ambient noise on the recording and still sound quite good. How close will the Tonedexter II get me to a miked (but quiet) guitar sound out in the world?
Old 04-15-2024, 05:47 PM

Well I went ahead and ordered the Tonedexter ii. As I mentioned in my previous post, my interest is mainly to get a better guitar sound when recording YouTube and Instagram videos. I may also use it live, but that is not the main motivation.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:00 AM

Well I got it the ToneDexter II last week and finally got a chance to try it out this morning. I made a WaveMap (IR) of my main guitar (a Yamaha NTX-5) through a Shure Beta57 mic.

Wow, it sounds really amazing! When I captured the WaveMap, and went to move the mic, it sounded like it was still there! The main difference is no background noise, clothes squeaking against the guitar, etc..

I imagine that in a pro studio with amazing mics, and a room that was soundproofed and isolated, that I would prefer recording with a mic, but for home stuff in a regular room in a condo that sits not too far from a main road, this is going to be great!
Old 04-21-2024, 03:55 PM

My current recording space is too small to do quality live microphone recordings, and the vast majority of what I record is multitracked arrangement demos.

The Tonedexter gives me a phenomenal pickup-generated sound.
Since a microphone recording is currently a no-go, what I get sounds better than ANY unprocessed pickup.

I wouldn't use Tonedexter for a releasable recording project, but for EVERYTHING else, it is the best sound I can get.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-21-2024, 05:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I wouldn't use Tonedexter for a releasable recording project, but for EVERYTHING else, it is the best sound I can get.
I really love some of the “unplugged” live acoustic concert releases. The ToneDexter II gives me a far better acoustic guitar sound than what I hear on those…and those are released!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD