The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM

Default What chord is this? Or is it even a chord?

Maybe this is a noob question, but I was just messing around fingerpicking, and when I went to hit a C, I had my pinky on the third fret of the G string by accident, for some stupid reason. I thought it sounded kind of cool when I went back and forth between the C and this weird chord. So what is it...is it even a chord? I couldn't find it online, the only reason you're seeing it here is because I know much more about Photoshop than music.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM

It's C7
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Guest 728

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM

http://jguitar.com/chordname

I'll even tell you why it's a C7.

Major chords are composed of the first, third, and fifth notes of a scale, in this case, C. The C scale is C, D, E, F, G, A, B and then C again.

To make a C7 chord, you use the first, third and fifth notes, plus a flattened seventh note. As you can see, B is the seventh note, so you need to add a Bb.

The Bb you've added is on the G string, third fret (open is G, first fret is G#, second fret is A, third fret is A#, also known as Bb).

A good book to learn this stuff is from Justin Sandercoe: http://justinguitar.com/en/PR-010-Pr...usicTheory.php. You can download a .pdf for about US $15.

Sorry for going on, but I've been studying the blues recently (using Justin Sandercoe's blues course) and the blues is all about dominant 7th chords.

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 03-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM

You're right, guys. I had figured it was some variation on C, and C7 was one of the first things I looked for here:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ind...=C&mm=maj7&v=4

But oddly, it doesn't show up there - they show ten variations but this isn't one of them. Weird. That's why I wasn't sure it was even a real chord. But you're right, it sure 'nuff is a C7.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmeister View Post
You're right, guys. I had figured it was some variation on C, and C7 was one of the first things I looked for here:

But oddly, it doesn't show up there - they show ten variations but this isn't one of them. Weird. That's why I wasn't sure it was even a real chord. But you're right, it sure 'nuff is a C7.
That link is to a C major 7. A C7 is a dominant 7. Different animal.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
phmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmeister View Post

The picture in your first post is exactly the same (edited screen capture?) as the C7 shown at that site
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM

Mick,

For more noodling fun, don't hit the first string, or better yet "kill" it by letting your index finger touch it, and move the chord up the fretboard. Slide it up two frets and it's a D7; up two more & it's an E7, etc. It's a useful movable chord & a pretty easy one to grab. If you're playing a three chord tune in G, try using this shape for the D7. It's a simple little thing you can use to add some variety to your sound.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Just to clear up one tiny misconception, any group of three or more notes make a chord. Some people will say any two or more notes make a chord (I consider this a double stop, but I am not dogmatic enough to argue about it). The chord might have a really weird name like a Dominant Sharp 9 Flat 5. It might also have more than one name depending on the key and context it is played in, but any three group of three or more tones can safely be considered a chord. Now whether it sounds good or not is again entirely based on the context in which it is played.
But yes, what you played was a chord, a C7 as everyone has stated.

Last edited by posternutbag; 03-02-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Yes, phmike, that site does show the same chord as my edited screenshot. But I didn't see it because I was looking at C maj 7, which, as Dave points out, is not the same thing.

And good tip on sliding the chord up to D7 and E7, Frank...I'll have to play around with that some more.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 PM

C7 is a mighty nice chord - congratulations!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 PM

I'll tell you something else about that chord....it's a beautifully moveable chord....Move it up two frets, and you have a very nice D7. Move up another two frets, E7. Move it another three frets, G7, and another two, A7.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 AM

there's an app for that.

If you have a mobile device,, there are several app's available for reverse chord look-up.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt this be know as a shell chorld? The fifth, G is missing from the chord according to the diagram. If you use just the 3rd, 4th, and 5th string you would have Cmaj7 by moving to the 4th frett on the 3rd, C7 as shown and Cm7 by moving from the E on the 4th to an Eb. These forms in other variations are used by my instructor in jass compositions.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 AM

I don't know, but the 5th (G) is optional in Dom 7 chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion