The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2024, 07:44 PM

Default Negative muscle memory

I played a pretty fingerpicking tune on guitar this morning at church, the singer crushed it. But I started well and struggled in the middle but was able to dial it in in the last third.

The problem, which was pretty sneaky, was that the continual picking pattern for the song (standard tuning) is a banjo forward/reverse roll adapted to guitar. I caught the tempo solidly, and had a drummer and keys lightly keeping time, but my fingers wanted to speed the thing up after we were into it a bit, reaching toward the speed they are used to from years of banjo picking.

The forward/reverse roll is one of the main banjo rolls and is particularly effective when you are playing up the neck but splitting the roll between fretted notes and open strings at speed. Really gives you a sort of cascade of notes effect.

I know muscle memory is not good when it establishes bad habits, but the forward/reverse roll is good habits. Just need to make sure the fingers get the memo...and I probably should have gone to rehearsal...
Old 04-22-2024, 03:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I had a drummer who couldn't keep tempo in a P&W band. I'd launch into a banjo roll that is dependent upon the next one beat being where it is supposed to be and he'd be either early or late. I had to develop the ability to adjust the roll mid-measure to meet his next measure on time. Whoo-boy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I had a drummer who couldn't keep tempo in a P&W band. I'd launch into a banjo roll that is dependent upon the next one beat being where it is supposed to be and he'd be either early or late. I had to develop the ability to adjust the roll mid-measure to meet his next measure on time. Whoo-boy.

Bob
Whoa boy is right! That sounds complicated indeed! And it kinda makes me say "Hmmm..." it's not unusual to catch my drummer sliding around in the tempo, so maybe it wasn't me. I'll have to check out the stream.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
and I probably should have gone to rehearsal...
You know the answer to that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write