The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Well I wasn’t going to bring it up but I’m sending it back. This one is just very underwhelming. I don’t think it’s a string issue because it was just made in late January. It just sounds bland and one dimensional for lack of a better description. I have a Larrivee OM simple 6 that just blows it away. I love Larrivees just not this one.
Disappointing but it does happen. Why not try a set of your own strings to be sure (?). You might be surprised or worst case, certain.

In any case, at least to me the hunt is half the fun and I have been pleasantly surprised a time or two.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 04-18-2024 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I wasn’t going to bring it up but I’m sending it back. This one is just very underwhelming. I don’t think it’s a string issue because it was just made in late January. It just sounds bland and one dimensional for lack of a better description. I have a Larrivee OM simple 6 that just blows it away. I love Larrivees just not this one.
I have been looking at L-09s for a while now. Dave’s Guitar has a clean use L-09 for a good price. I am very curious about this body design. I also have a Larrivee OM that is a stellar guitar.

Do you think this L03 could have eventually loosened up? They are pretty tight when new. My experience is that Larrivees take a while to play in and loosen up. I have been running a Tone Traveler on all my acoustics and it seems to really work on the Larrivees.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I have been looking at L-09s for a while now. Dave’s Guitar has a clean use L-09 for a good price. I am very curious about this body design. I also have a Larrivee OM that is a stellar guitar.

Do you think this L03 could have eventually loosened up? They are pretty tight when new. My experience is that Larrivees take a while to play in and loosen up. I have been running a Tone Traveler on all my acoustics and it seems to really work on the Larrivees.
This guitar just sounded more deadened than any other new guitar I’ve bought. I wasn’t willing to take a $1800 gamble on it (although I will be absorbing some shipping). I certainly wouldn’t steer anyone away from any series Larrivee. This one just wasn’t my cup of tea. I love my other three including an OM09.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-18-2024, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
It happens from time-to-time. Best of luck on the next one.

I just had this happen yesterday with a 000-15m...and I played the dang guitar before I bought it! Sounded huge in the guitar store. Got it home, and I was just very underwhelmed. First time for that. Bass had that great Martin snap, mids were mostly there, but the trebles were DOA. Seems the acoustics at the music store (GC) carried those trebles beautifully, but not so much at home. As a fingerpicker, I think it'd be smart to take it back and order the 000-15sm. Seems like a completely different guitar.
FWIW I love my 00015SM with its 1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 spacing. I hope for it to be a lifer for me. Good luck.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-18-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Have patience. Larrivees are robustly built and take awhile to fully mature tonally. I know from personal experience...

About 20 years ago I fell in love with an OM-03R in a local store (long since closed) but couldn't afford to bring it home. Fast forward a couple of years and I was able to acquire one via mail order and was similarly underwhelmed. After swapping out the stock TUSQ saddle and getting it set up for mediums it seemed to come to life the more I played it. Now it's 18 years old and it will NEVER leave the nest.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
FWIW I love my 00015SM with its 1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 spacing. I hope for it to be a lifer for me. Good luck.
Thank you. Didn't even realize you had one in your list! Was just trying to commiserate with you The 000-15SM is still very much on the table, but it would be an online order, unfortunately. Sorry for the hijack!

Bringing it back to Larrivee land: I also have a Larrivee OM, and it is without a doubt one of my favorite guitars. The sustain and clarity are "boutique-like." And, to Neil's point, mine gets better ever year. It's kinda amazing, actually. I think there's a common tonal thread that runs through every Larrivee model, regardless of size. I love them. But occasionally a less than average guitar, just like with all factory guitars, sneaks through. I hope you can find a winner next time, Lillis!
Old 04-18-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Thank you. Didn't even realize you had one in your list! Was just trying to commiserate with you The 000-15SM is still very much on the table, but it would be an online order, unfortunately. Sorry for the hijack!

Bringing it back to Larrivee land: I also have a Larrivee OM, and it is without a doubt one of my favorite guitars. The sustain and clarity are "boutique-like." And, to Neil's point, mine gets better ever year. It's kinda amazing, actually. I think there's a common tonal thread that runs through every Larrivee model, regardless of size. I love them. But occasionally a less than average guitar, just like with all factory guitars, sneaks through. I hope you can find a winner next time, Lillis!
Well, FWIW mine first sounded like it was stuffed with socks. The new saddle remedied that. In fact, the original TUSQ saddle practically had to be pried out the slot it was such a tight fit. I wonder if it was even seated all the way down?

Also, the medium gauge strings really seemed to drive the top more - and yes, it does sound like a boutique guitar now. I just wish Larrivee did cedar tops and short scale. I much prefer using a capo and bare fingers with it, though it can handle a pretty heavy attack with a pick.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post

Also, the medium gauge strings really seemed to drive the top more - and yes, it does sound like a boutique guitar now. I just wish Larrivee did cedar tops and short scale. I much prefer using a capo and bare fingers with it, though it can handle a pretty heavy attack with a pick.
I'd be very interested in playing a Larrivee cedar top. Have you tried one out? That's a rare bird!
Old 04-19-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Well, FWIW mine first sounded like it was stuffed with socks. The new saddle remedied that. In fact, the original TUSQ saddle practically had to be pried out the slot it was such a tight fit. I wonder if it was even seated all the way down?

FYI Larrivee is going to be producing a new series that will be short scale
Old 04-19-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
FYI Larrivee is going to be producing a new series that will be short scale
Oh,that is good to know thanks.
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-20-2024, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just wish Larrivee did cedar tops and short scale. I much prefer using a capo and bare fingers with it, though it can handle a pretty heavy attack with a pick.
If you like the sound of cedar top guitars, you might like Larrivee’s moon spruce (moonwood) option. I have SD40s in both Sitka and moonwood, both with mahogany back/sides - they are like completely different guitars. The moonwood gives you the warm, enveloping, thick treble response that I love - it reminds me a lot of cedar guitars I’ve played. I’ve heard guitar channels say the same thing about Engleman, which is not that different from moon spruce.
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-20-2024, 03:47 PM

I have had 3 Larrivees.
OM
SD03R
OO

All sounded TERRIBLE when new. Thin, jangly...
3 weeks and voila, they were all great.

Stuffed with socks was not my description.

Never had an L...in fact, I have never played an L that I liked. That is not to say I have not heard terrific sounding L's. Guess they are not my thing.

BTW, the SD03R and the OO were both short scale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion