The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2022, 08:06 AM

Default Does the GS Mini sound unnatural to anyone else?

Does anyone else find the GS mini’s unplugged sound somewhat unnatural? I don’t mean does it sound unnatural compared to larger guitars. After buying a Yamaha CSF3M, I started noticing that my mini sounds off, almost like it’s always out of tune. The intonation is spot on, and I don’t think anything is wrong with it, but I can’t figure out what’s going on with the tone. It’s definitely loud, but harsh at the same time. Is it the arched back? Is it the laminate? Or is it just me?
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)

Last edited by jpricewood; 03-21-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:52 AM

I think it's just you.

We all react differently to tone and the GS Mini owners almost universally like them. I owned a mahogany GS Mini that I loved.

As in all things guitar, YMMV!
Old 03-21-2022, 08:53 AM

The only problem I noticed with mine, and with my GT as well, was with what I could only describe as a harsh, ringing tone on the first few frets of the G and B strings. It was very prominent when plugged in and no amount of fiddling with the ES pickup adjustments would get rid of it - not even replacing the saddles with new micarta saddles from Taylor (yes, I properly fitted them). I could also detect this sound unplugged as well, but it wasn't as prominent. The tone was really bothering me. I decided to try a bone saddle to see if it made any difference. Low and behold, it resolved the problem with both guitars! I noticed the pickup adjustment screws didn't respond quite the same way they did with the original saddles - seems like there was less separation between them, i.e., each of the pickup elements picked up more of each string. This indicated to me that the saddle stiffness must have been different from the micarta saddles. In any case, bone saddles resolved the issue on two of my guitars.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 03-21-2022, 09:15 AM

Could it be that you just do not like the tone of a Koa top guitar? How do you find your K24ce? Or maybe you just fell out of love with your GS Mini Koa.

I used to own a CSF3M and I sold it about a year ago and I still have my GS Mini Koa and like it very much. I have an unbleached bone saddle on my Mini.

Btw, your Mini has a gorgeous top. I saw it in the Classifieds.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I've not noticed that with my Mini mahogany. It sounds fine.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-21-2022, 09:55 AM

I love the sound of my Mini. Anything wrong with it has more to do with my playing than the guitar.

That said, it's not a dreadnought and it's never gonna sound like one.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-21-2022, 10:01 AM

Do GS Minis sound unnatural? Not at all. They are great for a small-bodied guitar. Does yours sound unnatural? I don’t know.
Maybe try some Black Magic Woman and see what happens.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I have two GS Minis, a spruce/“rosewood” and koa plus, and have payed a mahogany model, and they all sound like variations on the same thing—a 3/4 sized guitar. The mahogany and koa versions are warmer sounding than the spruce, but I would not describe any of them as harsh—they all sound “natural” and play in-tune.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:09 AM

I don't think that "Not Natural", is a good way to explain what you are hearing.
I have played a few Minis at guitar shops and they DO have a different sound to them.
Very Trebly would be my way of describing them.

They have a pleasant tone but not a rich full sound, like a larger guitar can offer.
They are what they are.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:26 AM

I have some nice guitars, but my spruce top mini really never disappoints. I think it's a very good sounding small guitar; and sounds just fine to me when I turn to it after a Collings or Martin.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:04 PM

I had a mini mahogany and I never bonded with it. Something about it just sounded off compared to my 000-15 which I love. I didn't think the tone was very complex, and it didn't seem to have any depth to it. It was fine. I do think the scale length wasn't my favorite either, the strings always felt floppy to me.

Either way, it's not meant to compete with full size guitars. I still think it is probably the best guitar to learn for the quality to cost comparison. I still wholeheartedly recommend them to anybody who asks for a good starter.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-21-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Some old school players used to tune the A, or the G, string wherever it sounds good and tune the rest of the strings off of it. If there were more players, the leader would tune where they liked it and the rest would tune off of them. It is just relative and as long as everyone is tuned the same it works. When i first learned to play guitar that was how it was done until someone showed up with a pitch pipe. If you think that your Mini sounds off a little just tune it to where it sounds better and play it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-21-2022, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

I've never understood the GS mini. It sounds just like it looks. That so many like it is mystifying to me. But I'm happy for satisfied owners.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-21-2022, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Granted, the sound quality of the HBG demos isn’t the greatest, but this demo pits the basic spruce-top GS Mini against travel guitars that in some cases cost 10x to 12x as much. In my opinion, the GS Mini holds up very well, especially given the price.

I wouldn’t mistake any of these for a true 0 or 00 guitar.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

If you are comparing it to the other fine guitars you own (or if that's what your ears are use to) I imagine it does sound off. I've owned 3 mini's of different woods, I didn't care for any of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion