The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Gear cases

Hi folks,

I did search this topic, and got a few from ideas from previous threads: ammo cases, stanley toolboxes, rolling carry ons. I thought I'd post a new thread. I'm looking for something that is essentially a box with either straps (backpack style) or wheels (carry on extension perhaps).

I already have a couple of "old time" suitcases, one for merchandise, and the other for cables, mics, spare looper, and other gear. As my family band expands, we're getting into more gear. We use a backpack, which works, but things tend to shift and slide around.

Any thoughts out there? I may go with the rolling toolbox, but it's quite a different size/shape than what we're used to. We pack our Honda CRV pretty full when we head out as a four piece.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-02-2018, 06:04 PM

I use a shooter's "range bag" like this...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...tion-range-bag

It has one large center compartment with internal dividers. That's where I keep pre-amps, binder with set lists, straps, cables and other large items. The range bag also has numerous small zippered compartments, many with internal dividers and pouches. These hold and keep organized all of the small items I sometimes use - extra strings and tools for changing them, batteries, extra capo and tuner, music stand light, flashlight (for setup on dark stages) picks of different types, and all of the other things I might need during a gig.

When I'm off to play, whether a gig, a jam, or an open mic, I grab my guitar case and range bag. I'll have everything I might need.

Uncle R.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:33 PM

I use Pelican cases for my mixer and pedals and other small but expensive stuff. I buy them used on ebay for about half price. They are very rugged, water and dust proof. They are pretty heavy though.

Most have foam that can be fitted to whatever you have.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-02-2018, 08:46 PM

I use a back pack for most small stuff: mics, mic cables, adapters, power cords, clips, batteries, hook up cables, instrument cables, IEMs.

For stands, I've been using a keyboard hard sided gig bag to carry: mic stands, guitar stands, music stands, speaker stands.

My mid sized mixers go in brief cases.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:17 PM

I make padded boxes for stuff. They always seem to be tighter fits than I first envisioned. But it all gets in there.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I use Pelican cases for my mixer and pedals and other small but expensive stuff. I buy them used on ebay for about half price. They are very rugged, water and dust proof. They are pretty heavy though.

Most have foam that can be fitted to whatever you have.
I have no real need for gear boxes when it comes to guitar.
But- I do use the Pelican cases that gfirob mentioned- I use them for my camera gear and they are great.

Not cheap- but if they have what you need - I doubt you would ever have to buy anything else again as these cases are seriously tough. You can buy foam or padding to adjust to your exact needs- so everything has it space safe n sound...

Have fun
madhat.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Office Depot and Staples have rolling cases. both had and soft sided.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

It really all depends on how much you're carrying. As there are PLENTY of choices out there, the best advice I can give you would be to purchase something that will give you more room than you initially think you will need. Separate compartments are always a good idea, as spare batteries and anything else metallic make for strange bedfellows.

One other thing: bring along one of those mini-flashlights.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 AM

I got a husky tool bag at home depot. $50, it's built like a tank and has lots of compartments. I'm sure it will outlast me, and what's inside is well protected.

The only downside is showing up to a gig and being asked "are you here to play music or fix the sink?"
Old 09-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Check out SKB cases also

madhat.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I have several duffel bags in various sizes I use for cables and folding stands. All my electronics are in some type of hard case. I have a road case for mics, a road case for my Mackie 1604 mixer, and soft carry cases for my pedal boards. My Mackie 450SRM speakers live in Gator rolling bags. I also have bags for speaker stands, mic stands, etc. My next purchase will be a bag for my Fishman Artist. I really like the Gator bags and am considering one of their backpacks for misc gear.

I currently have a few small duffels I bought at Cabellas for small gear like picks, capos, straps, tuners, tools, strings, etc. These are $10 on sale and come in various colors. Mine are all black but I tend to get them mixed up and should have bought different colors.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Baseball gear bags are really a good fit in some cases. Many have nice padded compartments, separators and such and mic stands fit in the bat compartment as well as many have wheels nowadays. A creative solution possibly for the right gear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion