The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2023, 11:35 AM

I would say that a more playable guitar would be one that has a shorter scale length with a 000 size. The Martin 000-18 would fit that description. My guitar tech has set up all my guitars (except for the 12 string Taylor) with what he calls the "Taylor set up" so the actions are low. I can get around on the fretboard very easily. Or you could just get a mid-sized Taylor I suppose. Very nice guitars as well. I disagree about the 12 string being the most playable. Mine is not.

Last edited by DBW; 01-23-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
I... I would personally rank playability above sound every time, because of my age and the very private nature of the use of my guitars...
Got a bud who has his acoustic-electric strung with 10-46 plain-G electric strings, to match his solid and semi-hollow...

Plays like his electrics - you'd hardly know there are strings there at all..

Sounds lousy both plugged and unplugged - thin, edgy, and strident - and I haven't the heart to tell him...

I'd go the setup route, and a set of dedicated acoustic 11-gauge strings...
Old 01-23-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Who’s going to be first to state the obvious???
Won't happen until the year 2525.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:13 PM

So many variables. I think you just need to audition as many guitars you can stand til one makes you not want to put it down.

I hear you tho. Playability is key but probably very individual. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Short scale with a really good setup. The really good setup is the important part - you want someone who will adjust the action at the nut via filing down the nut slots instead of just sanding down the saddle. In the first 5 frets the action at the nut has a lot more influence on playability than the action at the 12th fret. You also want minimal relief if you play up the neck a lot.
This. While some brands make it a point to ship their guitars with low action, ease of play is not brand specific but instead is primarily a function of setup and scale length. There are, of course, other factors, including the player's string spacing preference at both the nut and the saddle, the shape and depth of the neck, etc. And string choice also affects ease of play.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion