The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Default blue chip and charmed life...

After hanging out here for a while I finally decided to try a
Blue Chip pick... I got it at my local guitar store, an STP-40.
I like it and use it almost always now. I want to try a bigger
pick.

So today I ordered a Charmed Life "bnt-1.15 sb" a
big blonde triangle pick ...

-Mike
Old 10-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Let us know what you think about it. I was surprised at how much I like my big blond tri pick.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I resisted for a long time, but I finally tried some CLPs. Holy cow, I'm convinced and I'll never go back. Casein is wonderful.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Just received a CLP yesterday - seems I may like it better than my BC TD40!
Old 10-14-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a CLP pick back in May or June, and went with the thinnest pick offered, the .75mm version. Scott warned me to be careful to not strum too hard with it, and I definitely have tried my best to heed his warning for the most part, but there have been times where I've forgotten (or just been curious) and have strummed it pretty good for extended periods. 4-5 months later it's still going strong and is hands down the best pick I have. Once I inevitably break it I'll be ordering several more.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I resisted for a long time, but I finally tried some CLPs. Holy cow, I'm convinced and I'll never go back. Casein is wonderful.
I think it is cool when the Charmed Life guy comes on here and talks
about "engineering plastic", something I never spent two seconds
thinking about...

I think he said the Blonde picks are made from this family of stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyaryletherketone

... and that there's 100s of other kinds of engineering plastic that
nobody has ever made a pick out of...

-Mike
Old 10-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
thinking about...

-Mike
Yeah, Scott's got all that technical knowledge. Good thing, since he makes picks!

I've got both his brown and black and they are very nice materials, but the casein won me over. Fabulous stuff.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Yeah, Scott's got all that technical knowledge. Good thing, since he makes picks!

I've got both his brown and black and they are very nice materials, but the casein won me over. Fabulous stuff.
Same thing happened with me. I like Blue Chip and the CLP Brown and Black well enough, but once I started playing casein, it's what I use 95% of the time. I have both Scott's CLP (both flame and turquoise) and I have a few Red Bears as well. The Red Bear is a heavier, more substantial pick than the CLP, even at the same 1.5mm thickness. They sound quite different, they feel somewhat different, I love them both, depending on mood and how my ears are perceiving sound on a given day (it varies, clearly - no other explanation).

-Ray
Old 10-14-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Old 10-14-2020, 06:08 PM

Just got a Charmed life red version. I think its 1.2mm. To be honest, I don't hear any difference from my Gravity pick and that only cost $5. I do like the Charmed life better than the Blue Chip TD40 I once had. Sent it back for a refund because it sounded to muffled.

I guess I should feel lucky that my ears can't tell the difference between the $5 one and the $30 one.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
thinking about...

-Mike
Mike, I try to avoid a lot of these discussions, because when people see me as the last poster they think I'm in here sales pitching. I really try to avoid that.

I'm a huge BC fan myself and always will be. As a company in the boutique market space, they are the gold standard for the industry. Anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth.

I just wanted to correct the facts, Mike, on the one hundred varieties thin, which is true. The blonde picks come from the ketone family. That family by itself probably has 15 different varieties. The 100 number encompasses ALL the engineering plastics in the industry as a class of polymers. Easily a hundred.

Using Vespel as an example, most people are unaware that DuPont makes more than ten different grades of Vespel. The brown Vespel that BC uses is known as SP-1. It is, believe it or not, the cheapest Vespel in the line, the entry-level product in the series. If you want to get technical, this product is known in the plastics industry as an unfilled or virgin grade. That means it contains only the base Vespel resin with no additive except perhaps some coloration for the brown color. Other variants of Vespel have different additives specific to certain industries -- medical, manufacturing, scientific, etc. -- and cost more than TWICE the price of the brown stuff. I believe gold or diamonds are cheaper. ALL the other products in the Vespel line are black; SP-1 is the only one that is brown.

So the Vespel family by itself has 10-15 varities, the ketone family has another 10-15 variants, so you can see that we're already at 25+ plastics, and only we've mentioned only two families out of dozens. One hundred is a LOW number. Very low.

All which is to say, it is a great time to be an acoustic player.

Forgive my intrusion. I'm a teacher by training. Does it show?

Health & Safety to All,
Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-14-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:19 PM

So I have a red charmed life pic that was given to me. But I don’t see that version on the website. Where does that one fall in the product line?
Old 10-14-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Just got a Charmed life red version. I think its 1.2mm. To be honest, I don't hear any difference from my Gravity pick and that only cost $5. I do like the Charmed life better than the Blue Chip TD40 I once had. Sent it back for a refund because it sounded to muffled.

I guess I should feel lucky that my ears can't tell the difference between the $5 one and the $30 one.
I like my blue chip because of how it feels when I'm using it. I bought a container
of celluloid Fender heavy triangles about 20 years ago, and spent more time
finger picking and playing as if I had a pick with just my fingers than using the
Fenders... I don't know how many of those Fenders were in the container,
but I just went up there and looked, there's still 10 or 20 of them in there...
Anywho... the blue chip just seems to work better, I never thought much
about how it sounds... I'm looking forward to the Charmed Life triangle...

-Mike
Old 10-14-2020, 09:01 PM

I used to be a Blue Chip snob, then I met Scott and he put me in the Charmed Life mind meld. I think he learned it from a few lost weekends drinking beer with Leonard Nimoy. But I digress. The "Blond" pick is like a quiet unassuming assassin of tone. It may not seem like much and then you play it. And then it grows on you. And then you start A/Bing it with your other picks and you go "huh..." The funny thing, although it's possibly not funny to your wallet, is that he's got other picks that also make you go "huh". The problem with them all is they grow on you. This tone works with that guitar and so on. Yeah... it can be like an addiction.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
I used to be a Blue Chip snob, then I met Scott and he put me in the Charmed Life mind meld. I think he learned it from a few lost weekends drinking beer with Leonard Nimoy. But I digress. The "Blond" pick is like a quiet unassuming assassin of tone. It may not seem like much and then you play it. And then it grows on you. And then you start A/Bing it with your other picks and you go "huh..." The funny thing, although it's possibly not funny to your wallet, is that he's got other picks that also make you go "huh". The problem with them all is they grow on you. This tone works with that guitar and so on. Yeah... it can be like an addiction.

-jay
Truth be told, this guy Jay here has become a good buddy over the last four years. The best part of what I do is meeting great people like Jay all over the planet. Six years ago I would never dreamed of this. Life is strange.

Thanks, Jay,
Scott Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion