The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM

Default mark on the saple?

Hey! I got my new 214 through the other day, and I just wanted a quick opinion on somthing!

I ordered it From England (i'm from Scotland! although I did play it first) , and the model that they sent is perfect apart from the fact it has a small , i'd say about 1/2 inch mark on the spruce top, If i run my finger over it there is no change so its obviously part of the wood.

Anyone think this will have a knock on effect if I try to sell it in future? and is this normal!!! I have not seen any other photos with marks?

thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 AM

I shouldn't have any negative effect. It's wood. Sometimes there is anomoly in wood grain.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Sounds like what is called "Bear Claw". In larger amounts it is sometimes treasured (though sometimes vilified) for its distinctiveness. A small mark may be what separated that top from the wood destined for better Taylors. You may well have gotten better quality wood than the typical 214.

I have a 414 with substantial Bearclaw and an 814 L7 with ruler straight white grain. It's not a significant issue either way. There are people who hold with the idea that Sunburst schemes were developed to hide Bearclaw.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion