The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 04:19 PM

Default Yamaha FG840 or FG3?

I am GASing for a Dreadnought. I sold my last one a few years ago and my OMs just don't scratch that Dreadnought itch.

I have decided to focus on Yamaha for this purchase after being very impressed with the last two Yamaha's that I purchased (CSF3M and FS830).

I was set on getting an FG3, until I got the FS830. My FS830 is every bit as good, if not better, than the all solid wood CSFM3.

My question is, how would the FG3 compare to the FG840?
Unfortunate neither of these is available locally to try.

Is it worth the price difference? (USA Prices)
I have an offer for the FG840 under $400
(I realize that the price difference is lessened by the lack of gig bag with the FG840)

A little background into my expectations:
I am a former professional, who only plays guitar at home now. I sold off my higher-end stuff over the last several years to pay for grad school and just want a few functional guitars. I mostly care that they that sound and feel great. I am not super picky about neck size. I have small hands but played classical enough to be able to stretch my fingers.

I am currently cataloging every instrument I have owned, making notes like: why I sold the guitar or what I regret about selling the guitar. 30 acoustic guitars into the project now and can I think I finally know what I like in a guitar.

As I have gone through my notes I consistently see that my priorities are:
  • Resonance I can feel in my hands
  • Durability
  • Balanced sound, with healthy low-end punch.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:53 PM

Default Dreadnaught itch

You may not be a 12 string fan like me (I owned 2 different ones in the old days.), but I think you'd love a Yamaha FG-820-12. If you already have six stringers...this thing can be hypnotic during those times when you want something different. It is something you'd always enjoy having on hand. They are very reasonably-priced (under $400), and very well made. If you decide to go that route, be sure and get a good set up. I only played a Taylor 150e 12 string in comparison, and the yamie walked all over it. The Taylor was much easier to play, but they both were about the same after I had the yamie set up.

Last edited by 12FanMan; 04-22-2024 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-2024, 08:18 PM

Fg800 - i think you'll be very surprised
Old 04-22-2024, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Unless you have to have a 1.75" nut width, I would expect you'd be happy with the FG840 - the FG8x series to me so far has been pretty flawless.

The FG3 will be a matte finish also and tends to wear shiny spots with use - some folks think that is just fine. Also I would not buy an FG3/5 sight unseen as several have had underset necks, IDK why, but it would pay to check before buying so to save the hassle of returning. Never heard of this on an FG8xx. IDK whether they are made in a different place or different line or how they make it out of QC that way.

Last edited by redi; 04-23-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12FanMan View Post
You may not be a 12 string fan like me (I owned 2 different ones in the old days.), but I think you'd love a Yamaha FG-820-12.
I’ll keep that in mind. I had a few 12 String guitars (Alvarez AD60S-12 and a Blueridge BR-160-12), but I couldn’t justify keeping them around so I sold them both a while back. The Alvarez had a strange bridge with separate saddle pieces for each pair of strings, but the pickup worked amazingly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
Fg800 - i think you'll be very surprised
Thanks, you’ve thinking about the FG830 as well. I found a few comparison videos between the FG800 and FG830. The FG830 has sounded a little better than the FG800 to my ears each time

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
Also I would not buy an FG3/5 site unseen as several have had underset necks, IDK why, but it would pay to check before buying so to save the hassle of returning. Never heard of this on an FG8xx.
Really good to know! There must be something different in the design of those that increases the potential for neck setting issues in the construction process.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:34 AM

(I own an FS5.)

The FG840 has flamed maple back and sides, the FG3 has solid mahogany b/s--the same as the CSF3M. The FG840 has a 650mm scale length, the FG3 634mm. (600mm for the CSF--for completeness!) The top on the FG3 has undergone the A.R.E. process. All models have scalloped bracing.

You want:
A) Resonance I can feel in my hands
B) Durability
C) Balanced sound, with healthy low-end punch.

A) When I first play-tested a Red Label, this is what hooked me. The guitar vibrated. I got goosebumps. I also played a CSF during the same session. I liked it a lot, as well, but knew I wanted a slightly larger body. (This model does have its place, and I wouldn't mind having one.)
B) This is YAMAHA we're discussing, 'nuff said. (That said, the semi-gloss finish on the Red Label series is perhaps more finicky.)
C) I can't speak for the FG840, but the Ibanez PF40 I've had for well over 20 years is also a dreadnought with flamed maple b/s, and it have never had a "healthy low end." The FS5 does. It definitely punches above its size. (I play finger style, and also wanted a smaller body, hence not going for the FG3/5.)

Hope this helps.

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)
Old 04-23-2024, 07:44 AM

I own the FG840 and love it! The sound of the maple is different than tbe rosewood of the 830, which I also had. The maple gives you a strong fundamental tone, with less overtones than the rosewood. So, a clear tone from each string but not a lot of "sheen" on the higher tones.

The 840 is sensitive to string type, so gives a broad choice of tone with the various string choices. My favorites for it are the DR Sunbeams for strumming and Daddario NBs for fingerpicking.

Another big plus of the 840 to me is how well it records. It is the easiest acoustic to dial into a mix I've ever recorded, so much so that friends have borrowed it for recording.

Having owned a 730, 830, and 720, and played several 850s, to my mind the 840 is the peak of the 800 series.

Expect for it to need a bit of set up, especially the nut height, which is usually pretty high on a new Yamaha.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:48 AM

Thanks for those responses.

It is really helpful to hear some different perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytse43 View Post
I can't speak for the FG840, but the Ibanez PF40 I've had for well over 20 years is also a dreadnought with flamed maple b/s, and it have never had a "healthy low end." The FS5 does. It definitely punches above its size.
Low end is a concern of mine. It doesn’t need to be overwhelming, but I am hoping for some fullness and punch from the low end when strummed.

I had two thoughts about the FG840’s back and sides.
1. Since it is laminate, the tonal impact of the wood choice may be stunted. However, from the reports of been able to find on this item, it seems that the way Yamaha is doing their laminates the tonal qualities are coming through.
2. Maple can sometimes have the effect of giving a lessened, but defined low end because it is more-or-less EQing some of the mid muddiness out.

I recently considered the FS3 or FS5, but the store didn’t have either. Instead, I got the FS830 as an impulse buy because it was so much better than anything else remotely close in price. It wasn’t the loudest, deepest, or most resonant. It was just very clear, had plenty of harmonics, felt kind of snappy, and had a well-balanced sound. In my opinion most inexpensive small bodied guitars to try to compensate for their lack of size by overhyping certain mid-frequencies to make them sound bigger, but Yamaha’s sound very natural.

How does your FS5 handle strumming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
I own the FG840 and love it! The sound of the maple is different than the rosewood of the 830, which I also had. The maple gives you a strong fundamental tone, with less overtones than the rosewood. So, a clear tone from each string but not a lot of "sheen" on the higher tones.
It is good to hear from someone who owns one of these less popular guitars. Your description lines up with the little bit of data I have been able to collect. It is interesting that these laminate guitars seem to reflect what you would expect from their respective tonewoods.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:13 AM

I'd take an LL16 over the FG3. I've had both at the same time and the LL16 really stands out.

You could also consider the Eastman E1D. I recently got one and it's really great. Cheaper than the FG3 as well.. really amazing value.

There's a YouTuber named Chris Effort that has videos of the E1D and FG3 so you could compare them. He prefers the E1D and I think I do as well.

Another consideration is neck size and feel. LL16 and FG800 series ones have slick thin necks while others are chunkier.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
I'd take an LL16 over the FG3. I've had both at the same time and the LL16 really stands out.

You could also consider the Eastman E1D. I recently got one and it's really great. Cheaper than the FG3 as well.. really amazing value.
I am glad you put the E1D and LL16 on my radar. They were both on my list a while back, but were not at the music store when I made my last purchase. I am a little leery of buying an unseen Eastman. I have an E2OM. I like it, but it could have been built better. It has number of cosmetic issues and a few issues of substance. Past the 14th fret most of the frets were not properly seated, leaving a lot of space between the bottom of the frets and the fretboard. It also has a small gap between the back and the binding.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:27 AM

I own an FG830 that I really love, and my step up would be an LL16 or FG3. The LL16 is a bit fancier, and the FG3 is more spartan in appearance, but they are both killer guitars for the money. As far as Eastmans, I have liked the ones I have tried, but they are incredibly hard to find in stock in my area.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoshi84 View Post
How does your FS5 handle strumming?
I've never been a huge strummer; a friend since high school who played a Washburn certainly was. I recall being somewhat envious of his "aggressiveness."
That said, this FS5 seems to handle whatever is thrown at it with aplomb. Open string "Cowboy" chords, barre chords from the 1st fret to the heel joint, all manner of chord inversions, and "complex" chords all have clarity and balance to them.

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)
Old 04-29-2024, 12:18 AM

I tried a different store in our area. They didn’t have too many options, but I was able to compare these guitars: Breedlove Eco Concerto; Yamaha AC3, LL-TA, FG800, FG830; Taylor 10e.

When I got done I jotted down some notes.

Breedlove Eco Concerto
Feel: Played the worst of all the guitars I tried, and thought it seemed too heavily built
Sound: Muddy and choked.

Yamaha AC3,
Feel: Okay
Sound: Okay, kind of bright.

Yamaha LL-TA
Feel: Great neck, but a super heavy guitar.
Sound: Clear, maybe a little thin in the low end.

Yamaha FG800
Feel: Neck felt slim and less comfortable towards headstock, needed a set up badly. Had some finish issues.
Sound: Okay, kind of weak.

Yamaha FG830
Feel: Neck felt slim and less comfortable towards headstock like the FG800, but set up much better. Also, finished better than the FG800
Sound: The best sounding that I tried. Balanced dreadnought sound with healthy lows. Could possibly use some more mids, they were scoped a bit. I was very impressed.

Taylor 10e
Feel: Probably played the best of all, and had light construction.
Sound: Fairly resonate in the mids and highs, like other inexpensive Taylors. It would have been great with more bass response.

It was a great reminder of how important it is to actually play the guitars. The feel was drastically different on each guitar. I was shocked how much more of a full and traditional sound the FG830 had than the other guitars. I just wish I had a different neck on it. The string spacing is tight and something about the shape of it bothers me. However, my FS830 neck seems very similar, and it can be fun playing it. It really depends what you are playing.

Thanks to everyone for giving me some ideas to think about. I'm going to pause this pursuit until I wrap up my last two grad school classes! Then I can start rebuilding the collection that I had to sell off to pay for this degree!

I have some gear laying around. I'm going to sell that off and then I'll set a budget and decide. There's no rush, I just miss having a dreadnought around.
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Your experience mirrors mine. I wanted to buy my stepson a guitar. Tried every guitar at my local GC. FG830 beat everything in the store uo to $300 more Including entry level martins and taylors.
Old Today, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

I played the Yamaha FG range at the Yamaha store in London last year.

The FG830 had that D28 style of timbre and the FG840 had that Gibson Dove style of timbre. I really liked the FG840, it was very bold with that bell like timbre so typical of maple.

The FG3 was a different proposition altogether. Very Yamaha in timbre. Lovely build. I loved the nut width, neck feel and shorter scale. I felt that the guitar was not trying to be a copy of anything in particular but sat in its own space. I loved the tone, more clarity and more "usable" for me than my D-18. Very sweet playing, and very Yamaha! I'm planning a trip to London again soon to spend a couple of days going around the guitar shops. I'll definitely visit the Yamaha store again. And want to play the FG3 and the rest of the FG800 series again.

BTW - the FG800 itself was nice. It sat in its own space too. If it had the wider nut and shorter scale then I would get one for the beach. The F800j has a shorter scale but that Korean built version is not available in the UK yet.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion