The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCaboose View Post
Hey AGF!

I’ve owned my Guild D-20 for a few years now, and I’ve always pondered on buffing the satin nitro to a gloss. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the topic, but it’s been difficult to try and formulate a game plan with it. I’m certain my D-20 has a satin nitro finish because I owned an F40 STD from the year prior and it had more of an open pore finish.

I know it’s unlikely to get it down to a true mirror gloss - but I’d be happy with a semi-gloss at least. My Guild has already been pretty buffed in from where I’ve played it, I’m just looking to make it more whole.

What would be y’all’s suggestions? I’ll post future results here too. Thanks!

On the matter on whether the finish on your D20 is nitro, it depends on the year. The D20, when introduced in 2016, had a catalyzed varnish finish. The specs changed to satin nitro sometime in early 2020.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

This is the back of a Larrivee OM-40R that I polished by hand with Mequiars and Virtuoso. Its not a high gloss finish, but it looks good. The polishing was done nearly two years ago.

IMG_3139.jpg
Old 04-25-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
On the matter on whether the finish on your D20 is nitro, it depends on the year. The D20, when introduced in 2016, had a catalyzed varnish finish. The specs changed to satin nitro sometime in early 2020.
Yeah, I think my D-20 is a 2021 spec. But it's definitely at least a 2020. I'll confirm when I get the guitar back, it's with my tech getting a pickup installed. I did end up finishing the guitar, it turned out better than I thought! I'll post pictures soon.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:48 AM

I am curious to see the results. The other examples look good. I've got a Epi Masterbilt AJ500 that I have considered buffing out.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Has anyone ever buffed out a satin guitar to gloss and then wanted to revert back to satin? This is where I find myself with my Martin 00015E-C.
I can't imagine how that could be accomplished. Finishes start off matte/satin and are then buffed smooth. You could rough up the finish but not get it satin again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
finish, guild, polish