The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 12:47 PM

Default Guild D40 Traditional Skunk Stripe

As I was playing today I noticed that I can feel with my finger the skunk stripe on my d40 traditional neck. I can feel it only between the nut and the first fret. I have seen some fender necks like that which I know it happens and there is no problem with that but wanted to ask if there is any case of an issue I have to worry about.

I am attaching some pics so you can see

https://ibb.co/qpFdVP5
https://ibb.co/QFP64D5
Old 05-09-2024, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I just checked my D40 BG-Jubilee. I can just barely feel the stripe, on the headstock. between the two E string tuners. Had you not mentioned it, I would have never noticed.

Do you notice any distortion in the fretboard? Is your fretting hand's movement impeded? I suspect that you won't have any problems if no answers these two questions.

You might want to see if the folks on the "Let's Talk Guild" forum have any experience with the issue.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:36 PM

It's not ideal and usually indicates that the guitar went through some things. Like a heating event in a car or something. On the bright side, the glue joint moved rather then the wood cracking. If it bothers you playing you can have a luthier scrape it flush and refinish.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:40 PM

Same with my D-40 Traditional, but I can only feel the center strip above the 1st fret. Could it just be the lacquer shrinking back?

I've been playing it today. Fantastic jumbo! 4lbs5oz.
Guild D-15m
Guild M-40
Guild F-47R
Martin J-40
Recording King RO-318
Old 05-09-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
I just checked my D40 BG-Jubilee. I can just barely feel the stripe, on the headstock. between the two E string tuners. Had you not mentioned it, I would have never noticed.

Do you notice any distortion in the fretboard? Is your fretting hand's movement impeded? I suspect that you won't have any problems if no answers these two questions.

You might want to see if the folks on the "Let's Talk Guild" forum have any experience with the issue.

No distortion at all. Truss Rod works fine. Guitar sounds phenomenal. I was worried that the trussrod was pushing the stripe out but I don't think that's possible
Old 05-09-2024, 03:51 PM

It’s normal and not a concern in terms of structural stability. Over time the different woods expand and contract at slightly different rates, that’s all.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion