The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Saddle wasn't seated

Wow, what a difference. Just had a new saddle made for my guitar (while another repair was being done). When I got the guitar back it just had no ooomph, none of the liveliness I fell in love with. Long story short, the saddle was too long for the slot it was supposed to go in and was jammed in too tight to make good contact with the top.

Sanded the length down a bit, it fits in perfectly, and BAM - my guitar is sweeter than ever. What a difference a well sized saddle makes!

This saddle replaced one that had to be shimmed and whether real or not - i feel there's a difference. Guitar went from 'phenomenal' to 'super duper wow!'. Nice.
-----
For attempting to learn how to record:
  • Interface: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
  • DAW: Presonsus StudioOne Artist
  • Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 (windows 11)
  • Mics: Shure SM 57 and 58, Behringer C-2 pair
  • P'up: K&K (J45)
Old 05-09-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broy View Post
Wow, what a difference. Just had a new saddle made for my guitar (while another repair was being done). When I got the guitar back it just had no ooomph, none of the liveliness I fell in love with. Long story short, the saddle was too long for the slot it was supposed to go in and was jammed in too tight to make good contact with the top.

Sanded the length down a bit, it fits in perfectly, and BAM - my guitar is sweeter than ever. What a difference a well sized saddle makes!

This saddle replaced one that had to be shimmed and whether real or not - i feel there's a difference. Guitar went from 'phenomenal' to 'super duper wow!'. Nice.
So, you're back in the saddle again, eh?

Old 05-09-2024, 06:31 PM

Amazing how comfortable a proper fitment makes for anything in this world.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:53 PM

Default Wow!!!

Inyo...
Love your stuff...brilliant !!!
Old 05-09-2024, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Had a similar experience, yet somewhat opposite in that the saddle I got with my J-45 sit too lose. It always sounded a little muted and uninspiring. One day I'd had enough and built a new bone saddle to fit nice and snug in the slot. It was like having a whole new guitar.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-10-2024, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Not able to do multi quotes - so to all that replied, ty, and agree w/ all.

Inyo - LOL, Giddy Up!
-----
For attempting to learn how to record:
  • Interface: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
  • DAW: Presonsus StudioOne Artist
  • Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 (windows 11)
  • Mics: Shure SM 57 and 58, Behringer C-2 pair
  • P'up: K&K (J45)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broy View Post

A shim isn't going to make as much difference as the poor fit you described .. how much difficulty was there extracting the saddle that was interference fit? Was this a one-off foible from a luthier / tech you're otherwise happy with?

I'm doing all my builds with cut-through saddles, it will be a bit more work to maintain, however I feel that work is well worth the more certain connection between bridge and saddle.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

That's a good observation by the OP. I had a similar experience with a Gibson L-00. When I got it I noticed that the saddle was leaning slightly and the tone was a little weak. I pulled it out and noticed that the under saddle pickup was taking up all the space in the slot. I removed it and replaced the saddle and all was well again.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I've dropped a dozen or so Tusq and bone saddles into various guitars for years. Recently I found that my Eastman and Seagull bridge slots were too narrow to accommodate some thick new saddles.

I certainly didn't want to widen the bridge channels on the guitars themselves. So instead, I use a dremel on the new saddles to make them a bit narrower (carefully avoiding the pristine string-contact edges).

With that done so the new saddle drops all the way in, I find that a precise flat bottom on the saddle will ensure complete contact all the way across the bottom of the slot (or the pickup element). Transfers vibrations better for full volume and balanced tone.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:54 AM

Yeah, I had sort of same issues with a guitar I had just bought, it did not sound like it was supposed to, so I took it to a luthier, and he said the undersaddle pickup was not fitted well, and was causing the guitar to not sound as good as it could. I had him take out all electronics and make a new saddle, and the guitar is now amazing. So - folks with acoustics with undersaddle pickups who are unhappy with the sound, don't get rid of the guitar yet, it could just be this or similar.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion