The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2024, 06:11 PM

Default Question about potential damage to Bose S1 Pro

Hello audio newb here. It's time for me to learn more about the equipment I use for performing.
Lately I use a Bose S1 Pro for performing.
It has two XLR inputs. Each input has its own mixer consisting of a reverb dial, a bass dial, and a treble dial, as well as of course a master volume for each, equipped with a signal light that let's you know if you are clipping.
I use the microphone (in my case a Shure SM58, on the top input). I then use a guitar on the bottom input.
For the last month I have only been using the guitar, on the bottom input, no microphone on the top input.
Well, I have been clipping quite a bit on the guitar input, with my bose s1.
I started getting worried I was damaging something (mind you I was not clipping on purpose just on accident.
Anyway curiosity made me want to check if I had damaged the speaker, so the only way my new brain could think of doing such a thing was to set all of the dials for each input (reverb, bass, and treble, and volume) exactly the same. Then from there plug in a microphone in each and see if the sound is any different, and then repeat the same with the guitar.
I found that there indeed Is a difference between the sound of each input now. For example as I said I spent a lot of time accidentally clipping using the guitar on the second output. Now when I use a mic in the upper input, and the lower input with equal exact settings, when plugged into the upper input with the mic, the reverb sounds WAY too sensitive even with Tiny changes to the reverb dial, whereas the bottom input that I was clipping seems less responsive to changes in reverb on the dial.
Could clipping on the second input indeed cause damage in which something like this would occur

Little synopsis

Clipped on input 2 using guitar. Now, with equal settings and mixing on both inputs, they still sound different making.me wondering if my clipping on input 2, damaged one or both of the inputs/speaker/etc
Old 04-24-2024, 06:57 PM

Are you sure that you are clipping when you get a light?
I thought that the light just showed that there was a signal going through the channel.

I use an S1 Pro and when ever I have the mic or guitar going, the light is on for each channel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification